• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help! Severe gopher problem

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help! Severe gopher problem

Need some advice. I rented a quarter that was in hay a couple years ago. There are some severe gopher problems, they likely have 5 - 7 ac canola grazed off to nothing and are spreading out. We poisoned early in the spring, and have been shooting, but can not keep up. Any suggestions?

Neighbours used "the gophinator", NH3 to kill theirs. Felt they had 95 % control. Just be careful, they had actually shovelled a scoop of dirt over the wand while it was in the hole and then closed the hole after giving the gophers a blast. Two of them spent a couple of mornings with tremendous results.

Comment

Gophers sure do like canola!!

I had an extreme problem 2 years ago and found that I had to just keep going out every 3 days and reapplying the poison. The local county had premixed strychnine and the UFA sold a premixed poison in a pail that was a dry powder and both seemed to work equally well.

You don't have to poison every hole, but if you get lots of piles around their trails you will get good kill.

You will need to do it 3 or 4 more times yet to slow them down. I poisoned to the end of June and had lots of gophers still eating it and dead.

I went in with my airdrill on June 30,2005 and seeded polish canola at 10 lbs./acre where the gophers ate off and the crop made 35 bus/ac of number 1 grade, so if you can thin them out quick you may still have a chance.

Comment

I also suggest the gophinator. There are some people that will custom do this application for you. Contact Maze Industries? in Unity Sk.

Comment

Spray them with 24D, GMO gophers can be a real bear to wack. Just kidding!!!!!

Comment

There is also i device out there i believe it uses propane or compressed air to send a compression wave down the hole. i seen it at the red deer ag show and you 'll get a laugh when you see it but they claim it works very well. i have also seen a whole ΒΌ section taken by gophers. The gophinator works well to but it is Nh3 so be carefull

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...