• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Early maturing canola

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Early maturing canola

has anybody grown 5108 invigor? I cant find any info in the pcvt trials? I am looking for maturity info vs 43A56 (and reasonable yield potential).
    I seem to remember 5 days earlier than the checks?
    Sept 8 ave frost date for Lacombe plus 92 days june/july/aug is 100 days available if mudded in by June 1?
    Cut back on N to lower yield potential and push maturity?
    This is looking like a challenging year. (not my first choice of words but the only one I should post)

From the early napus coop trials, 43A56 was 1 day earlier than the checks (Peace/44A04), whereas 5108 was 2 days later than these checks. So 5108 would be about 3 days later than 43A56.
    On average at Lacombe, Argentine maturity is 112 days (from data 1989-2006). The early napus checks are about 1 week earlier than normal napus checks -- so about 105 days in the Lacombe area.
    I agree than lowering N rate and keeping P rate will advance maturity by a couple of days. Also, moderate to high seeding rate (achieve 10 plants per square foot) will help (a couple of days earlier than medium stand, up to a week earlier than a thin stand). Seeding later in the season also results in fewer days to maturity because emergence and early growth occurs during June which is warmer than May (often 5-7 days less maturity with early June seeding vs early May).
    Good luck -- we will need warmer summer than normal and later fall frost than normal for most of our crops this year!

Comment

In 2004 we planted 43A56 on June 17,neighbors planted 45H21 1/2 mile away, we had ours cut and combined before they cut theirs. 3 or 4 days difference in maturity can be as much as 7-10 days in Sept/Oct. If you use 43A56 cut your seed rate as you have twice as many seeds per pound(as compared to some the hybrids). It isn't as nice a canola for lodging or disease but if it gets late it will be better than some of the longer season canola.

Comment

If you can get your hands on 43A56 with helix extra you will gain a few days maturity over helix. We have seen an advanced crop development and 2-3 days gain on maturity, even with low flea beattle presure for the last 3 out of 4 years.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...