• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

hulless barley

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hulless barley

Does anyone still grow hulless barley? If not, why?

We grew hulless for a few years in a row for my brothers finisher pigs. Much better feed since most of the hulls are left in the field. But in 2005, when we were finally able to seed it, I noticed a huge difference between the hulless (can't remember what variety) and the hulled (Conlon). The hulless had a much poorer stand from start to finish. The thing I really like about barley is how competitive it can be against weeds, especially in a 30-50% seed bed utilization with a 2.5 bu/ac seeding rate. But after seeing the poor stand in 2005, I rather go with the extra hulls in the feed and manure to "guarantee" a good barley crop stand. I've been able to cut herbicide dramatically before in barley, so the cost savings there out weighs the savings in the pig feed.

Comment

Hulless is not as aggressive as covered barley, you need a contract to produce it so you know what price you are selling it for to offset the issues in yield and stand (balanced by a premium price for food or other uses).

Check out Agricore for some contract programs.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
      • Return to Topic List
      Working...