• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Round up ready alfalfa

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Round up ready alfalfa

A temporary court injunction in the US stopped roundup ready seed production for 2007. Seed planted for hay is allowed to be sold until Mar 12. Seed may be planted for hay if the seed is on farm until Mar 31. Seed sales are suspended until a permanent injunction comes down. I guess facts were not thoroughly disclosed about pollin travel and isolation of the roundup gene(due to pollinators)in the original application.
    My question is, do we want RR alfalfa here? I sold the plow years ago, and don't want to go back. Roundup is the most effective alfalfa and weed removal tool we have. Smokes quackgrass. If you have 10% hard seeds in alfalfa, some of those would germinate after the field is out of alfalfa. Dandylions are hard enough to remove in no till, I don't want alfalfa crowns.
    There are rumours of RR alfalfa seed production plans for Canada. Do we want that? Will the pollin stay in those fields? I need to be clear here. I am in favour of GMO alfalfa. The potential is huge. Just not RR. There are enough RR crops out there, time for some new chemistry. Time for Monsanto to spend some of their liscencing fees.
  • Reply to this Thread
  • Return to Topic List
Working...