• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fertilizing Peas

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fertilizing Peas

Last year was the first year we did not fertilize our peas. We just used TagTeam granular. In past we had used 5-25-25 or 11-52. With the price of fertilizer now it almost dosn't make sense to do it.

I look at it like this:

1. Start with good seed and ensure your plant population is sufficient.
    2. Innoculate properly (very important).
    3. Get good early weed control
    4. Moisture and cool flowering period (makes or breaks a good pea crop).
    5. Ensure disease is under control
    6. Small things like starter fertilizer

So to me the starter fertilizer is far down the list. I don't see the bang for my buck in it anymore.

What do you guys think?

This is only my fourth year growing yellow peas. I like to seed them April 25 to about May 5. All I use is Tagteam peat. It is kind of messy but seems to work. Peas averaged 40 bu. last year and 45 bu. in 2005.

I do not have the third tank so the granular innoculant will not work for me.

I also always spray with Odyssey,fields are very clean at harvest. Custom sprayer was dessicating my peas this year and was wondering why he was doing it. I told him it brings them in faster plus this combine has a lot of acres to do.

Comment

It all comes down to how much available phos is in your soil. Tag Team does not make or create phos, it simply makes it more plant available.

Comment

I have to agree tag team doesn't make fertilizer it just helps the plants use whats their and guess what a 20lbs blend of 11-52 costs the same as tag team on 3 bushels an acre.
        15 years of peas seen every thing also why use odyssey take pursuit cut to 1/2 rate and take centurion or post at lower rate, spray early and that will give just as clean of crop plus cost way less. And if you get a rebate back from any of the companies your further ahead some more.

Comment

Do you think that carryover residual would be a problem with pursuit at the 1/2 rate in the dark brown soil zones?

In order to speed up harvest when you have a stand with 70% ripe peas and 30% green patches, will desicating with roundup help at all. I find my peas are usually quite flat at harvest time, due to waiting for the green plants to cure out any amount of rainfall causes the riper plants to fall down flat.

In ontario the pursuit is licensed to go on the ground ahead of bean production. I have always wondered if the pursuit should be tank mixed in with the preseed glyphosate ahead of seeding peas and then you have a larger window to spray the wild oat herbicide in the peas.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...