• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

milling oats

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

milling oats

What type of oats are best to grow?
    I was going with Morgan but the Service center in Moose Jaw is not going to handle that variety.

They want to sell me Boyer oats instead.

Any expert oat growers here??

i like pinnacle and ronald. They are shorter with above average yields and good disease resistance. One thing about ronalds is that they tend to have more thins which might a big minus if you are in a dry area.

Comment

In Southeast sask. We grow Boyer's quite regularly. The biggest knock on them is sometimes light weight, but I have never seen it on our farm.
      They have a good disease package.Boyer's are now classed as an old variety. As for yield close to Pinnacle's. This is also another good variety.

Comment

I would have to agree with bgmb to a tee.

We also grow Ronald and Pinnacle. I've grown just about every variety under the sun in the last 5 years.

Ronald and Pinnacle are very good, both are semi dwarf and only grow 1/2 the straw of most other varietys. But we have noticed more thins in our Ronald, but nothing serious.

I also would agree with Jackflash. We grew Boyer for years, and we usually had a lighter test weight.

Derby, is a good variety, but lots of straw, usually lodges.

If I had a choice i would go with Ronald or Pinnacle.

Derby, Boyer, TripleCrown, Morgan,Caliber I would try to stay away from. but not to stay they won't make you money. Also last year we tried CDC Orrin. This also looks like a nice variety. Very heavy our Orrin is weighing between 265-275g 1/2 liter.

Myself I would take less bushels if I don't have to hammer all that straw through.

Hope this helps.

Comment

On our farm we grow pinnicle and have had very good luck I would recomend seeding heavy 100 lbs seems to be more uniform /shorter. be careful were you are though pinnicles are a later matureing variety probably 4 days.
          Also more of a tan Oat not really good for the pony oats but the plumps are good enough for most millers

Comment

Orrin is an excellent variety. Stand's up great, excellent variety for straight cutting. North East Sask is a different world from Moose Jaw though. As for seeding rate if the seed is heavy then 100 lb's / acre is probably light. I recommend a TKW test to deteremine seeding rate. Especially important for straight cutting as you want an evenly maturing stand.

Comment

I thought growing oats would be easy.
              Oats weigh 34 lbs. per bu.- right??
              I ordered seed for 2 bu. per acre
              then was told seed heavier then I ordered enough seed for 2.5 bu. per acre. (85 lbs) At $6 to $7 per bushel this seed is getting expensive.

I usually seed my barley and durum at 1.5 bu per acre but I have always read info to seed heavier.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...