• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Protien and Nitrogen in wheat

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Protien and Nitrogen in wheat

How many lbs of actual Nitrogen is required to improve the protien in a wheat crop by 1 percentage point. I know there are other nutrients in this that play a role, but as a "rule of thumb". what would that number be?

My fall soil tests showed these numbers on one of my fields.

To grow 25 bushels of wheat at 13.5 protein needed 40 lbs of N.

To grow 34 bushels of wheat at 12.4 protein needed 55 lbs of N.

To grow 50 bushels of wheat at 13.5 protein needed 120 lbs of N.

I farm in the dark brown soil zone with about 4.4% organic matter.

There seems to be a point where you start of max out on yield and then the N goes into protein. Until you use enough N to get max yield, there is no formula for extra protein for each unit of N. You will get more yield initailly if you have enough rain and good growing conditions.

I am led to believe that once you have maxed out your yield potential, then you will start to see about 1% more protein with every 15-20 lbs/acre of N.

Comment

If you want to improve your protein it is important that the plant has access to Nitrogen when it starts filling the kernels. Protein is more about timing of the Nitrogen than the amount. Back in Europe we used to spread some Nitrogen right before the wheat was heading out. At that point the plant is not actually growing anymore just stretching so most of the nutrients it takes up are used to fill the kernels.
      A way to achieve higher protein without an extra pass to spread fertilizer is to grow wheat on pea or bean stubble or spread manure. That way Nitrogen is constantly released into the ground and the plant can always access it.

Comment

I tell my customers a bushel of wheat needs 2.5-3 pounds of N per Bushel. I also give credit for organic matter and i get the total N thats in the soil down to 24 inches. As well if you think your protien is low look into spraying a 21-0-0-0 liquid blend at the soft dough stage. I would think 3-5 ( i would have to get more info to give correct rate) pounds of N should raise the protien up 1%. The 21-0-0-0 blend can be bought from omex but i know some guys used to make it themselve but it might have been with 34-0-0 .I've never done it myself.

Comment

My mistake it is not at soft dough stage it is beofre that close to heading.But proper timming is most important when doing this.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...