• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CAIS

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CAIS

Seems CAIS has left the limelight of late in these forums. Am I perhaps the only one falling through the cracks of this program? Finally got my 2003 supposedly straight, no thanks to three accountants. On 2200A cropland and 160 cows the best cheque they could send was just over $2000. That covers the accountants bills. My question is where do I look to see what's been done wrong? The neighbours seem to be getting sizeable cheques. Even the ones I cash rent land from have been getting reasonable cheques, like several times larger than my pittance. Drives me nuts. What have been your experiences?

I know what you mean the experience is frustrating to say the least. I wish somebody actually could explain the workings of the program to me so that I could understand, maybe I am just to dumb. The only ones I see making serious money are big companies and farmers can lie good enough to beat the system. The accountants are making lots of money but you noticed that as well. Only good news is that I think the CAIS program is getting scrapped according to the little report I got on the federal budget today. Sorry I wasn't of any help.

Comment

nearly every second farmer that recieved a small amount in our area are having to pay it back. The others got nothing to start with. It's CRAP and from what I hear the new government merely thinks it needs a little tweeking. I know what's going to be tweeked next election it's these guys we elected out here. 1.5 billion is a joke and especially when it is going to be dumped into the crap pot called CAIS. These guys need to stop kissing the A__ of Quebecers and pretending to be Brian Mulroney part Duh! (TWO) in case they don't remember that idiot was hated as much as Trudeau and caused the farming industry as much trouble. They sure as hell aren't getting my vote next time around.

Comment

Why would this government want to dump CAIS? In most cases it pays out very little to farmers SO it must be good...right?

This government doesn't have a clue about what to do for agriculture...they just won't admit it.

You will just have to be patient and see what transpires.

Comment

Hey frustrated1, you should have read what the acronym stood for before applying - the Chartered Accountant Income Stabilization Plan.

Comment

Yes, the accountants in our area are driving new pickups and SUV's again. My saga got one step worse when CAIS decided they wanted my interim payment back. They'll get that when they can pry it from my cold dead fingers. Hopefully our govt's plan to reevaluate the inventories will make us all rich.

Comment

With regards to the first post - Frustrated1, you are wondering where to start checking the government's calculations to see where things went wrong. Your accountant should be doing that as part of the services you paid for. As well, with the fees that you paid, you should be getting enough of his/her time that he/she can walk you through the calculations and explain exactly what the implications are of each line and number reported. By the time you are done, you need to be completely satisfied that you understand what was sent in and how the government handled the application. You may or may not like how the handled it, but at the very least you need to understand it. Your accountant owes that to you.

Yes, I am an accountant and we provide these services as part of the package that our farmer clients pay for. I am also a farmer, and can easily understand the frustrations that are out there. CAIS is an incredibly complex program, and because of this, there is alot of money left on the table by farmers and even accountants who do not understand all the ins and outs of the program. In our area and among our clientele, approx. 80% received payments. That does not include interim payments and/or advances. Strictly CAIS payments that do not need to be repaid. Just to give you an idea of the types of farmers we are dealing with - most are small to medium size mixed (cattle and grain) operations. Most of our clients are from western MB, but approx. 1/3 are scattered across SK, AB and northern BC.

Good luck all!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...