• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Packing seed with a logging CHAIN ??

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Packing seed with a logging CHAIN ??

I have been told that a 1/2 inch logging chain about 24 inches long ,attached to each shank on my airseeder ,will work as well or better than any packer ! I know of several who use it to level the land behind thier direct seeding operation and one producer who swears by it! In fact he has even removed his packers and claims the chain is better with less maintance.
    I am going to use a 3/4 inch opener and direct seed

I've heard of using a logging chain.....in fact, one of the growers I work with, has suggested mounting them in addition to the in-row packers he has. He has a concord airdrill with anderson openers. His feeling is that under drier and heavier soil conditions where this opener will tend to rip more than normal (creating lumpy seedbed conditions) the chains could help fill the trench with loose soil and maybe break up some lumps. It seems possible (and feasible!)
    Most people would agree that in-row packing is desirable....where there seems to be some ongoing debate is how much....Obviously, this will depend somewhat on soil conditions (wet, dry, clay or sand, etc) but the general concensus is we don't need much pressure overtop of the seed to optimize emergence...I don't remember what measurement units were used but many years ago I remember seeing press drills rated at a magnitude of 300 and many airdrills were at 60 (lbs per sq ft??) PAMI suggested 60 was adequate....anymore was not considered detrimental but was also not considered necessary.......A logging chain will help seal the furrow....I guess I'm not sure how much packing pressure it will apply??......If conditions are moist, I suspect it will be enough....Dry? Like to hear some other thoughts......

Comment

I agree with the chains, they seem to work well. I had some custom seeding done one year when I tried winter wheat, and the farmer had chains about 18" attached to each opener. He had narrow knife openers and 5/8 logging chain. There was good soil seed contact and the conditions were on the dry side. I think that for the chains to do their job speed has to be kept down to 5 mph.

I know another farmer who has used chains on an early model air seeder, back in the early days of the frist air seeders and he still has that system. His word of advice is to do a lot of checking to make sure that you know what is happening. He used it in the dry 80's with no problems of poor germination. His suggestion was to put the seed in moist ground. He has seeded alfalfa 2.5" deep and it made it through and grew well.

I would be interested to hear what else you have heard about using chains.

Lorne

Comment

thanks for your replies
        I have talked to a farmer that uses chains and he says they work great especially for canola .I never asked him his speed of travel but I will now.He did say trouble free ,no plugging and cheap

Comment

Lynn

How did it go this spring? Did you try the logging chains, what type of machine and openers did you use and how was the soil moisture, etc.? I am interested to hear about your experience and oppenions?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...