• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tedders and dry hay Production?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tedders and dry hay Production?

Does anyone have experience with a tedder? Will it help with drydown and curing time? We don't seem to be receiving much dry weather up here in northern sask.

Buy a big wheel rake instead

Comment

Well we have a big 12 wheel rake but I was looking for a little more. Just was noticing the boys down by Red Deer with those tedders and wondered about how well they work?

Comment

I converted a pulltype swather to a sickle mower with a reel,it works ok but I might try a pickup reel if I can find one that fits
        I still haven't got the bugs out but I did 600 acres of hayland in wet conditions and my hay came off in great shape
        I also used a 14 ft haybine and spread the swath as much as possible and then raked two together.Not as weather proof but it helped dry the hay very fast.I was way ahead of my nieghbours by using the big wheeled rake
        also it sure speeded up baling time

Comment

Something like 80 to 90% of the plants protein is in the leaves. Using a tedder beats the hell out of the plant & so you loose the majority of the leaves.

They do work good to wash the back of the tractor though - a mechanical splasher in a wet spot. The one I ran was a JD 751 if I remember correctly.

Comment

Have small acres, therefore hire custom outfit -baled when they are there, not necessarily dry. Tedders likely designed for grass. However, the trick is to ted only 6 hrs max (depending on swath) after discbine,
            Then rake only ahead of baler with 12 wheel rake.
            The result is instant recovery from any rain. No swath to soak. Conditions right, bale day after cut. Rent one first.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...