• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Protein loss during grain drying

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Protein loss during grain drying

Last year I lost over 1.5% protein on wheat that I dryed. What can I do to minimize this as now it is a definate money loss.

An expert reply to your question seems slow in coming, so lets try some farmer to farmer problem solving. I'm new to using a grain dryer and the problem you have had concerns me. I checked out the value of a 1.5 % protein loss at the CWB website: dropping from 1 CWRS 15.0 to 1 CWRS 13.5 was worth 58 cents per bushel in the 99-00 crop year (or $29.00 per acre on a 50 bu/ac crop.) Could you give us more details on the crop you dried? i.e. type of dryer (batch or continuous flow or natural air), air temperature, amount of moisture removed. I suspect these details will help solve the problem. P.S. The cynic in me wonders about the accuracy of the protein test, but that's a whole other question.

Comment

In 1999 I started combining at approx.17% moisture. Protein was around 13% when tested at elevator. When dried in batch drier at 110 degrees F protein had dropped to 11%. Some had dried standing and protein had also dropped to 11. This year I may take the tough discount to keep the protein. Same tester same elevator agent (that I trust).

Comment

Thanks for the info. The crop was red spring wht 'neepawa' 130 acres swathed same day. 1/3 combined early @ 13.4 prot.& 19 % moist and dryed next 2/3 combined dry. last 1/3 rained on and comb dry later. all stored in different bins. Sold bin #1 1/3 dryed #1 @ 11.9 prot bin #2 not dryed #2 @12.6 prot bin #3 rained #3 prot ??? My dryer is IBEC continuous flow and I keep my temp's at seed level(max 140 wht) as per ab ag 'cerial Grain Drying and storage gov.ab.ca/crops/cer-drystore.html. This year I'm going to watch this better as no answer seems to be out there.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...