• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help seeding into last years peas stubble!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help seeding into last years peas stubble!

I had my best pea crop ever last year, between 60 and 75 bushels per acre. A lot of the peas lodged and harvest was difficult because of the moist soil and high humidity. I am having a difficult time trying to seed into it this year. I plug the drill about every acre and am wondering if anyone has any experience in how to handle the pea straw that is matted to the ground?
    Would a heavy harrow work, or will it just roll up into piles?

If I rent a big V rake and bale it, would that work? It may leave a lot of straw in the hole at the back of the rake as that does not get touched by the rake wheels.

Any other sure fire easy ideas?

Thanks for any proven advice.

what type of openers and spacing you have on your air drill?

Comment

Comment

Comment

sorry my computer went screwy.....try a rotary harrow....they are supposed to work the best in pea stubble...you don't lose any of your straw = no nitrogen loss in the future.....

Comment

Have growers who have tried used harrows which seemed to help,-- straw had to be dry, --- BIGGEST problem was no stubble left to anchor ANY of the residue so upon the first bit of wind, piles developed everywhere ... Grower resorted to harrowing ahead of the drill .... coulters do help

Comment

I have a Bourgault 5710 airdrill with 3" wide knife openers on 9.8 inch spacing and midrow banding coulters on front. The coulters help cut the straw, but they cut it between the shanks so the long pieces of straw hit the shanks and still wrap around them. I am having trouble with the thick mat of straw on the ground. It is about 2 inches thick and interwovern. The loose straw goes through the drill fine. If I plug up and kick loose all the straw that is caught up on the shanks, I can turn around and drive through the piles and the drill won't plug, but just driving along in a spot with the straw tight to the ground, will cause my drill to plug.

It is going to be a challenge!

Comment

Hello poorboy, can recall your nightmare from years past with Rushian Thistle on light land. Hate to suggest it, but try a double disk, set very shallow, just going 1-2" into the soil, increase the debth if needed, but it worked for us. The harrowing works to, but the driver needs to know what he is doing, start late in the morning, don't bunch and stop early evening before the straw gets wet.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...