• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

$$$ for farmers.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

$$$ for farmers.

That's great that the federal government is taking some notice to the hard times on the farm. Bad frost, madcow, crappy prices, inflated input costs, and so on.

Unfortunatly though, the inflated input costs aren't going anywhere, and I fear that the border will be closed for a very long time. Even when the billion dollars is gone....the problems will still be here.

I'm not one to look a gift horse in the mouth, but it is a "band aid" fix.

What's wrong with subsidies?? Our competition has them.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't soybeans in the states guaranteed to a minimum of $5.25/bu. The price can go up, but it can never go lower then that.
    I'm not sure about the other crops there, but I would guess that they are set up the same. The EU has them too.

Why can't we have something like that here??

Or maybe some type of price cap on these chemicals, fertilizer and seed. That price of that stuff is what kills ya.

Maybe bring back the CROW. The freaking deductions on a wheat check are enough to choke a horse.

Producer or privatly run packing plants (BIG ones) and 100% testing is a must. This one is a NO BRAINER.

Can't keep throwing money at a problem and expect it to solve it's self.

Anyone have any other ideas we could improve things?

Here is an idea.
    Tax releif. Here in sask education tax is sky high.
    Just cut taxes and that would be the most effective thing that someone could do in agriculture to put more money in farmers pockets.
    Plus it would not break any WTO rules.
    All these short term payments do is keep farmers going that should have quite the industry years ago. Hate to say that but it is true.

Comment

True to a certain extent I suppose. But MOST farmers today are good operators.

Yeah that school tax portion doesn't make much sence to me too.

How could we be breaking any WTO rules. They do it. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Comment

R.Reid
        I agree with you! I am surprised that nw9flynn would even worry about school taxes when there are no other problems in Ag except Some Poor farmers that need to be choked out! Here is a qoute from nw9flynn
        "All I know is that I am quite happy with my farm. My profit/ac is in a healthy zone. I am happy with my chem supplier and the products they deliver. " My guts are still sore from laughing.

Comment

Guess it didn't freeze at his place??

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...