• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

identity preserved contracts

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

identity preserved contracts

could some help me out on ip crops, the only advantage I see is they will buy 100% of the crop. On the negitive side your bound to the company you contracted with on grades, new seed every year and no yield advantage, Help me out here I come out with less income every way I figure it out.

I think every IP contract is different. Some are as you say, but each one has it's own rules. Many of the canola contracts offer a significant premium over market price. It's up to you to decide if any of these contracts fit your own farm program.

Comment

I was refering to the snowbird navigator and avonlea contracts

Comment

The navigator durum contract for example guarantees 100% acceptance and delivery if it meets the grade. So this year when common durum varieties have only 60% acceptance by the CWB, the navagator durum growers can ship 100% of production.

The navagator variety is also a better variety than most other durums.

Snowbird. It yield like hard red wheat and gets paid exactly the same as hard red, yet there is way less of it grown, so blending power is poorer. The only reason I can think of to grow it is that bleaching is not as big a grading factor as color in hard red wheat. This was dramatic this past harvest, in that side by side fields left out in the snow graded at least 1 grade better than superb hard red wheat beside the snowbird.

Comment

They also pay storage, and a $7.50/tonne premium for snowbird. We have also found that it out yeilded the hard red (splendor) we have growen in the past. You have to buy the seed for the first 3 years to get the premiums. Then after the 3 years you can clean your own for seed and still collect the premiums. I believe this is how it works.

Comment

r.reid I was told you have to buy new seed every year, by not haveing the option of shopping it around for a better grade is a disadvantage to me, there a grain company here buying durum here for a much better grade then the competition they kinda take turns.

Comment

The snowbird premium has been lowered to $2.50/T for the upcoming crop year.That made up my mind whether to grow it or not this year.

Comment

Just found out today that in fact they did lower the premiums to $2.50. And they haven't yet made a ruling on the clean your own seed after three years bit. I don't think we'll be growing it this year. Might try Superb. How is it?

Comment

Superb is a solid variety. Strong yeilder...not quite like CPS but the highest yeilding CWRS we've ever grown. Nice plant to work with, as well. Semidwarf, so theoretically less logding issues, but also shorter straw to manipulate. Tends to lose grade faster than the other hard reds. My advice is keep your seeding rate up, like a CPS, to prevent late tillers. Any other thoughts?

Comment

Thanks for the info. So about 2/bus acre should work.

Comment

Check the seed size on Superb. We are selling some that has very large seed, 44g/1000 versus another variety at only 31g/1000. In this case, you would need 1.4 X the seeding rate on Superb to get the same number of plants.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                      • Return to Topic List
                      Working...