• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canola Frost

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canola Frost

We have noticed damage on our LL and Smart Canola, we think due to frost. About half of the plants are completly gone, shriveled up to nothing. The other half very badly hurt, with the coyteldons (forgive the spelling) very yellow, looking almost dead but there does seem to be a growing point in the center. There are about 3 somewhat alive plants per square foot. We seeded at 7 pounds on the first of may. We did re-seed some just yesterday, was this wise, should we re-seed the rest? We farm in the Grande Prairie region. I would appreciate any help or coments on this.

3 healthy plants per square foot is low but if you're finding 3 on a consistent basis then under good fertility and weed control, you may see some delay in maturity but you should be OK in terms of yield potential. Over the years, I have seldom found re-seeding to perform any better than the affected crop unless the crop is almost a write-off. Watching re-growth from the growing point is the proper way to assess the extent of survival.

Comment

There was one Proven Seed crop had to be resown in our area & it was put in around may first as well.The seed seller is talking the ground was just too cold & the seedling was tired when it did pop its head out.But there was lots of other canola put in around here then & it looks OK (maybe depth?) I had one crop that had about 7-10 plants per yard once during a drought & I pulled off about 20 bu to the acre.It was too dry to tear up that year & I actually saved some money.Unless someone is paying for the seed/seeding I doubt the economics are there talk to crop ins.But I say that thinking the weeds are under control already (sprayed.) When we were sowing this spring the seed retailer did say 'keep your tags' so they must have had trouble before. I grew pursuit smart variety this year sown on May 15 in SW Manitoba. Keep after your rep for some kind of renumeration since they seem to be listening this spring.Let me know how your make out & good luck.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
      • Return to Topic List
      Working...