• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

pea fertlity

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pea fertlity

Is puting down starter N down with the seed necessary if so how much. thanks

Generally, research concensus says with proper nodulation, N should not be required

Comment

I'd support the comments of emiled. The key is good nodulation. Sometimes I've found that in situations where starter N is making a difference, its because nodulation is lacking. Lets remember that, at a proper seeding rate, the seed itself provides about 5lbs/acre of N and then there is the N which usually accompanies other fertilizers plus what's in the soil already. In Alberta research, added N has sometimes contributed to increased plant biomass but has rarely increased yield to the point where it is economic. In some higher rainfall areas of the country (i.e. Southern MB and Ont.) there is data to dispute this conclusion but this information does not apply to most of the arid prairies.

Comment

You pobably won't need extra N but getting good innoculant is very important.We used a liquid prep & didn't have much luck with it,yet others really like it.Don't be scared to put more on than required since its chaeper than N & the more inoculant present the better the nodulation.Check with your local ag office on what innoculant works in your area & soil.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...