• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Forage Info

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forage Info

Has anyone grown sorghum Sudan grass? What can one expect for avg yield per acre? What is the best way to put up, dry or silage bales? Are the feed values comparable to other forages, like barley silage for example? Do cows find it palatable? Also I'm thinking of trying some of the new hooded barleys for silage, Westford and Dillon, any info on these 3 forages would be helpful? THANKS

I tried Sudan grass once! It was a disaster. Possibly I had poor seed. Check the heat units that it requires.

Comment

I grew sorgum sudan grass last year it turned out all right about 6ton silage/ac.Don't seed too early it seems to like warmer soil,doesn't like competition I under seeded to sweet clover won't do that again, it regrows pretty good after harvest got some good sept pasture.

Comment

Key features of Westford and Dillon is their ability to hang on during periods of stress. In the heat of July and August, we find both these varieties tend to have an extended harvesting period (for silage) where other traditional types and varieties, tend to shut down much quicker under this stress. Works well if you're trying to time a custom operator or you have a lot of acres to harvest and the heat is pushing maturity.

A substantial amount of leaf area (wide leaves) is also a key characteristic ... excellent feed quality .... good yield as well ...

Both these varieties are susceptible to smut infections (Dillon much less than Westford) so it is advisable to use a seed treatment that covers smut esp. true loose smut (eg. Charter, Raxil)

A 2 row hooded variety was registered a few weeks ago.. limited seed supplies for 2004. This variety is better at producing seed ... good silage yield as well.

Hope this helps

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...