• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Feed Grains containing Fusarium

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feed Grains containing Fusarium

Can the fungal disease, fusarium, be transmitted by the use of manure from livestock fed grain containing this disease?

There is a current research project in Alberta that is looking at this question. If I remember some of the pathologists comments correctly, early indications are that there is a low probability of disease transmission through manure. However, I think we should wait until the project is complete before any conclusions or generalizations can be made.

Comment

There was some discussion on this issue at the Fusarium Head Blight workshop in November although much of the discussion was preliminary and more research is needed. Feeding livestock fusarium infected grain can cause complications other than the spread of the disease. Fusarium graminearum may lead to the production of deoxynivalenol (DON) otherwise known as vomitoxin. This mycotoxin can cause feed refusal and other serious problems, especially with young or lactating livestock. Seed should be tested prior to use by a laboratory. If you have further questions about fusarium an excellent contact is Randy Clear at the Canadian Grain Commission. Ph204) 983-7797 E-mail: rclear@cgc.ca

Comment

Limiting the spread and resulting impact upon farms not yet seeing this disease in our crops was my main concern. Thanks for the responses.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...