• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

grassland recropping

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

grassland recropping

Does anyone have any experience direct seeding into standing grass stubble after spraying grass/alfalfa stand with roundup in may. Would AFSC insurance division cover the crop or are there rules in subsection@#$# that would require special inspection before coverage. Would it work? Cereals vs Oilseeds? Suggestions?

grass to grain- check into the maximum allowable potash, grass is big user, but also root pathogens will be possible factor. This may give you a protective reaction. I had a real response back in the 1980's when I broke up some 40 year old stands of crested wheat and I spoke to the head of the phosphate/potash institute a Mr.Beaton (I believe) about why the half of the field that had received potash was stronger staw and more symetrical built heads. I seeded on an angle and swathed back and forth. And it was like night and day where the potash mixture was applied.

Comment

I have done this this spring and was quite pleased with the results.We seeded canola.

The only thing you can seed with in a situation like this is a knife type opener.We chose to seed canola because you don't have to seed very deep.We find that the deeper you seed in a situation like this the more cloddy and lumpy the ground gets and moisture may be lost.We also chose canola because of the herbicide options to control the regrowth.(There WILL be some regrowth)We seeded at 8 pds /acre to compensate for any germ problems but never had any trouble getting the crop started.

As for the crop ins question I can't help you there.We are in Manitoba and never had any problems here.Good luck.

Comment

Thanks for the input and I sure appreciate the tip on potash. Anyone know how well that hay float that Flaman rentals lets out works at leveling grassed over mole hills.

Comment

Boone and Countryguy, I'm dealing with light brown soils with a CLI rating of either 3 or 4 . Do you think I have a chance at Canola given the drought that we have been having in east central AB?

Comment

I hate talking about things that didn't work out so well but hey, it's Christmas.

I sprayed some grass in May and had what looked like a good kill. Oats were seeded (I hired someone with a disk-opener) and established well. Then the grass regrew and the hoppers came and I had a wreck. And yes, AFSC played hardball, so I would call your local office.

I'll try this again but only if I spray in the fall. That seemed to be the thing that most affected this experiment at out place.

Comment

Have worked with many growers who have seeded directly into grass or forage stubble. The most consistent success has been achieved by spraying out the forage the year before to allow roots to break down and minimize moisture loss due to forage growth in the spring.

Having said this, I've seen success in the spring as well but it is more dependent on rainfall as the forage draws up a lot of the spring seedbed moisture.

I'd take a very close look at the potential seedbed before seeding canola as I've seen canola seeded into 2" sod where we ended up with little seed to soil contact and had poor emergence as a result.....

I agree with the comments on fertility ... we often find forage stands severely depleted of K but also NPS as well...... good idea to soil test ...

One last comment, a lot of grasses are not easily knocked out by glyphosate in the spring .... e.g. orchardgrass, creeping red fescue, bromegrass, .... initial control may appear good but expect re-growth ...

Comment

grassmarketer, it has a fair cost but 25lbs.per acre of EDGE granular can do some amazing things if it is shallow incorporated. New seedlings and tillers of grass plants don't care for it much. (just a thought)

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...