• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stratus Vs. Metcalfe

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stratus Vs. Metcalfe

What are the strengths and weaknesses of these two varieties? Does one or the other seem to be gaining preference from the malting companies?

I realize you may have made a decision already but here's what I've seen / heard -- Getting a handle on new variety acceptance by Maltsters is always a bit of a guessing game. Malsters, however, are starting to realize that , agronomically, there are better varieties out there than Harrington. AC Metcalfe is often mentioned as a promising variety and has received a fair bit of acceptance this past year. Agronomically, there is little difference between Stratus and Metcalfe. Both are listed as varieties with limited acceptance (in Alta Seed Guide) meaning malsters are still assessing them as they buy limited quantities.

Comment

I heard a few weeks ago that Stratus was selected for a large shipment to China so that's encouraging. Maltsters play their new cards pretty close to their vests but from meetings I've attended it sounds like Metcalfe may be gaining more favour with domestic users while Stratus is looking stronger for export. Imagine the impact if the Chinese really got hot on one of these!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
      • Return to Topic List
      Working...