• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

End of preharvest

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gluten intolerance eh?

Comment

You all realise they dedicate in Europe as well always have and always will . And they use glyphosate that is outrageous! Lol. People really should go out touring in there life see the real world.

Comment

If this heat keeps up it will be the end of harvest.

Comment

Klause, I don't think because one sucky Italian farmer holds up a sign it is the "end of preharvest" obviously there are individuals opposed to preharvest. there are also ppl out campaigning against all pesticides and "chemical fertilizers" but I don't think we are loosing those tools anytime soon. It's best not to live in fear. Like saskfarmer said your 15 min can be over any time.

Our system isn't perfect always room for improvements but it's probably better and safer than it has ever been.

Comment

Its a potential political trade barrier, not the banning of preharvest.

Comment

Problem is farmers are sometimes like kids. Give them an inch and they take a mile. Use to be half a liter of preharvest was suffice. But farmers started thinking if that works well maybe more kills it faster. Not registered but whats it to me if this grain ends up in some third world country. I dont have to eat it. Farmers are losing sight of whats right for whats right for the pocket book. Too bad we end up shooting ourselfs in the ass everytime. Just look at the over use of Roundup in the US. Perfect shot right in the keester!

Comment

Gotta agree with sf3 on this , you guys in the south are lucky. We need to dessicate in the northeast. Otherwise we end up with feed wheat

Comment

Theyre looking at banning pre harvest in the U.K. right now.

It's coming. Whether farmers want it, think it's ridiculous to get rid of it or feel there's no such potential for adverse health risks.

Start planning now, you've got the warning. When it gets banned and you end up stuck in a rock and a hard place scrounging for swathers at harvest, you'll only have yourself to blame.

Comment

Originally posted by Blaithin View Post
                    Theyre looking at banning pre harvest in the U.K. right now.

It's coming. Whether farmers want it, think it's ridiculous to get rid of it or feel there's no such potential for adverse health risks.

Start planning now, you've got the warning. When it gets banned and you end up stuck in a rock and a hard place scrounging for swathers at harvest, you'll only have yourself to blame.
                    I think the thing that bears repeating is that whether or not dessication should be allowed is not the issue. Dessication with Glyphosate however IS! If you are or were using glyphosate according to the label for pre-harvest weed control, there should be no accumulation to the growing points since the crop is naturally in dry down mode and nothing is currently growing. If there are multiple stages of crop development at the point of preharvest control, then legally your only options were, are, and will likely continue to be a swather, or chemicals registered for the purposes of dessication.

If we are all using glyphosate in the manner that it was intended for preharvest weed control, we should have nothing to worry about since accumulation to the seeds should not be an issue and residues should be nil upon testing. If however those tests show glyphosate accumulation in the seed, then we have only ourselves, or our neighbors to blame for its loss as a preharvest weed control option.

Like many things in this industry, if we as producers cannot be trusted to follow the rules and regulations, outright bans will be thrust upon us whether we like it or not.

Comment

The UK ban is linked to the EU review of banning glyphosate.

Technically it isn't the act of pre harvest itself that will be banned, just the glyphosate. So yes, a different chemical could be used if approved for that use.

But it's really not coming down to a farmers responsible use of the spray. It's coming down to people not wanting it no matter how it's been applied, either responsibly or not.

Many farmers (and I'm applying this to all types. Cattle and other livestock as well), seem to be under the misapprehension that WE get to tell the consumer what they want. Be it spray on crops, antibiotics in meat, etc. etc. In reality, when you are providing a product, you provide what the customer wants. Even if it's baggy jeans that hang down to their ass and people think it's ridiculous. If that's what the consumer wants, that's what the supplier provides.

Yes, in many climates and current management styles, what the consumer wants is going to be hard to achieve and hard to get similar quality in similar timelines. But do the research, see what options are available. Many people don't want to pay premiums for grass fed, antibiotic and implant free beef but there are many people that are willing to pay extra for those things. The industry is always going to be changing, whether we as the producers agree with the direction or not.

Comment

So if glyphosate is causing gluten intolerance, then what's with all the peanut allergies??

I do wish farmers would use preharvest glyphosate better. I have a few neighbors that spray wheat that is way too green. These guys need to be fined. Should be a policing body on its use to cut out the BAD farmers who are going to wreck a good thing for the rest of us. Always same guys. Need to be done first.

Comment

Most farmers would refuse to use seed that received preharvest application of glyphosphate, yet they feel it's fine for people to eat it. Consumers deserve safe clean food.

Comment

What the hell are you talking about with the wheat seed comment .

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	765825

Hrs is always since 1981 been sprayed with and never a issue. Side by side no difference

But peas and lentils oh yea never do the roundup.

Comment

I dont get people saying we spray to early, if you do you mimick frost and have feed wheat, who would do that.

Comment

I have been working in grain display at Cal Stampede for last week, talking to many consumers both domestic and abroad, the use of Glyphos on harvested crops comes up a lot and most don't like it. Even when explained the proper use. Many said they would buy organic and pay extra before chancing contamination. Just the thought of eating it has impact.

I'm not judging either model just passing on observations from general public, Your consumers.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...