• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hurry Book Your 2017 Canola Seed Today

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I grew 50 bushel canola before it was fashionable. With old varieties. High inputs. High inputs and spray spray spray is where yield is coming from, not variety "improvement".

In 1989, who was putting 140 lbs of n on, and spraying seventeen times for disease? Rainfall in normally dry regions, and agronomic packages that cost more than land was worth an acre in 1989 are what has made the bushels go up.

Yet we push for more. I guess the council has it right. Produce ourselves into oblivion. lol

Man it was fun cutting hay today. Awesome crop, cost me 10 bucks an acre for seed. No chemical. No fertilizer needed yet. Gross return looks like it will be around 300 an acre. No risk. I can find alfalfa seed anytime I want.

Outside the box, grassy?

Comment

With the help and blessing of Mother Nature, we have ultimately become too damned good at what we do. And I'm going to get kicked in the nackers for getting lucky AND doing a good job trying to grow a "decent" wheat crop. Why put in the effort?
      Last edited by farmaholic; Sep 1, 2016, 23:55.

Comment

12% Hard Red Winter wheat in North Dakota has bids of around US $2.50/bu

Over production does have its consequences.

Comment

101, you are like a receding tsunami.......one big negative wave! Just kidding, it's not your fault I can't accept reality!

Safe harvest...!

Comment

My combine is seeding my next years crop. JD's do that, don't they?

Comment

Lots of risk making hay Freewheat, weather risk!

Comment

Originally posted by grassfarmer View Post
                Lots of risk making hay Freewheat, weather risk!
                Don't I know it! Sure grows good with rain tho, huh? Did you get my private message? I sent you one a few days back???

Comment

Originally posted by freewheat View Post
                  Don't I know it! Sure grows good with rain tho, huh? Did you get my private message? I sent you one a few days back???
                  Yes and I replied to it did you check your inbox?

Comment

Originally posted by grassfarmer View Post
                    Yes and I replied to it did you check your inbox?
                    Yes sir, sorry, and thank you.

Comment

If the disease pressure continues, it might end up being worth it to grow a 30 to 35bu crop, and not try for the 50's. I think if I put down half the N and smaller plant to allow some breathing room, a lot of years would be just as well off. I must be rounding off to the middle of my career. If my younger self was reading this, he'd roll his eyes in disgust.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                      • Return to Topic List
                      Working...