• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best nutrient system for field peas

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best nutrient system for field peas

considering seeding more peas this year and keep hearing about 70 and 80 bushel per acre fields. wonder if those folks would share the secret in regards to innoculants and fertilizer used placement etc. also what weed spray etc.

Since I am growing more peas this year and most nieghbors are growing less I will say I have used Tag Team Granular in the past but still unsure as to weather it is better than just liquid. By looking at my nieghbors fields and mine I notice more nodulation on the liquid innoculated fields. So this year I am going to use liquid. Also have been using no other fertilizer with good results. My soil is black and likely does not really need the phosphate innoculant anyway. It is important to control weeds, thistles must be controlled in the fall, you must spray on time also, weeds can kick the shit out of your peas. You can spray ten days after planting to still get your preseed burnoff has worked well for me but scout twice daily after 7 days, spraying at that time time is a plus over preseed burnoff before planting because remember you sprayed your fields in the fall right???. Plant early before anything else. Swathing has worked best for me, I get to haul more 18 percent moisture while the straight cutters are hauling 12 13 percent, I like that. Also splits and dirt will be less in swathed peas. Dirt can really suck when trying to auger plus if moist the buyers do not like the earth tag but not a problem if you swath or have dry conditions. For greens you must swath or use reglone which is expensive. I stick with the yellows, easier to market. ooops were you just asking nutrients?

Comment

Thanks alot Hopperbin, I was more interested in the nutrient side, however there are those other factors you mentioned very important. I haven't grown alot of peas, used tagteam and sideband some phosphorus but most potential yield I've had is about 45 bushels/acre, was just wondering if I was missing something to achieve a higher potential that I've heard some talk about.

Comment

My peas only averaged 47 bushels last year. I think the only difference from that and a 70 would be weather. Mine seemed to shrink when it got hot last year so plenty of pods at ground level. A rain at the right time would have helped a lot. You could try taking tissue samples to your ag supplier and have them annalysed, I did that once and found out nothing.

Comment

We pretty much do the same as hopper. We use liquid innoculant with no other fertilizer. We seem to get the same yields as everyone else in our area in the 35-50bu.ac range. I know of others that put as much as 40lbs of N down with their peas and some phos with little yield increase over ours. If there is a yield increase I still don't know if it would be worth it as it is nice to fill the air drill and seed 100acres without having to fill. I have never heard of a yield over 55bu/ac in our area, and if its possible to get 70 I would love to hear how.

Comment

Well in regards to yield potential I don't feel so bad now, Last fall I met some farmers from the Melfort area and they told me about their 70 plus peas, kind of made me wonder about my methods. Wondering what in crop spray you guys use for your peas, Ive used odyssey and another time used pursuit, was thinking possibly of seeding clearfield canola the next year but am concerned about having to spray back to back with those sprays and the possible carry over effect the following years. Have you guys tried that or is it something to avoid?

Comment

I use Tag team granular, plus put about 25 lbs of 12-51-0 I'm in a drk brn soil zone and we generally average about 48bu. I have done some side by sides vs becker underwood stuff but have never tried the liquid. We cosistently get 2 bu/acre better out of the tag team.

Comment

We use tagteam and a foliar nutrient called dyna-grow with solo/odyssey. This combo has pushed our yeilds from 35-40 to over 50 fairly consistantly. Dynagrow costs about $7/ac. We have also cut back the herb rates about 30-40%.
                We apply 1 lt/ac of d/g with the herbicide, comes in 100 lt drums. Very user/crop freindly.

Comment

Do you associate your yield increase to the Dyna gro, or is it because of the tag team? Also, you don't use any other fertilizer?

Comment

We have used tagteam for years - about 3 bus/ac better than the liquid innoc.
                    The Dynagrow is giving us an average of 7-8 bus/ac. This is our 4th year using Dynagrow and no longer do test strips.
                    We use no other fert on our peas.

Comment

If you don't mind, where can a guy get more info on Dyna-gro, here in Sask. who handles it? Also what mixture rate do you use for the solo and odyssey?

Comment

What about seed treatment. I have used a little Vitaflow 280 in the past, but usually use nothing. Are most producers replying to this thread using seed treatments on their peas also?

Comment

Dyna-gro is mabe by Bio-agronics.
                          1-800-463-2202
                          www.bioagronics.com
                          My local supplier is Gary Betoria in Unity 1-306-228-2568
                          We use 1 lt/ac before you add herbicide.
                          Last year we also seen a 1.5% protien bump in hrsw.
                          We have tried seed treatments but with little economis results - we feel no reason if seed quality is good.

Comment

I am also a field advisor for BioAgronics and i'm out of Saskatoon.
                            Darren 306-683-9561

Comment

I treat when the weather is poor and the outlook is the same. If seeding into really cold mucky ground (the kind you really think you should still be at home)it has really paid off. I have had neighbours seed at the same time and their peas virtually stall and rot. If conditions are good, and my seed is good I don't.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...