• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MUD!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MUD!

Well some want rain and then some of us would have loved it to stay away till farm progress show. Let the roots grow down and use up some of the excess water.
    You cant always get what you want should be our theme.
    1/2 inch after seeding yesterday just as equipment is moved home don't know what amount came over night but it rained hard all night.
    Some never get it but when your water table is high and even if it doesn't rain or snow all winter very little dissipates. What is needed is dry few years to get it lower then a rain event like the one were getting is easily handled.
    Acres lost but at least seeding was fun up and down.
    Last day after last weeks 2 inch event made seeding just slap it in mud event.
    Oh well its done now time to mud bog spraying in East Sask.

You need to sow a section or two of tame hay Saskfarmer, then you would learn to like rain a little more. Lol. 1.4 inches here now and raining hard. Going to have some dirty crops now before they get sprayed, but like you always say it's only a crop.

Comment

I hear there's lots of profit in mushrooms.

Comment

Are they legalizing them along with pot?

Hahaha. ...

Comment

2.5 inches over the last week, forecast for another 1.5 inches today, judging from the radar we are very likely to get it. Didn't need a drop of any of this rain or last weeks, every bit is excess! Mud everywhere, water ponding everywhere, if not flooded, roots will be choking on all this rain. This will suck especially on peas and lentils, can't get on to spray, disaster looms again.
          Like SF3 always says, peas don't like wet feet!

Comment

Finished seeding last Wed morning, so far 2.5 since then!! Had a 2.5-3 inch rain over 3 days on May 9. So ya she's wet!! Lentils and peas not going to like this. Glad we pushed to get done, could be challenging now.

Comment

Clayton Air is an airplane custom sprayer . He advertises on the radio. He was spraying in my area a couple of days ago, it was something to see! He had thst plane sideways and dipping down onto the field. Pretty impressive. It would save a bunch of sprayer ruts and destroyed crops.

Comment

That surprises me hobby. He must have one hell of a special ins. pac. Not many dusters here will spray in crop because of drift onto speciality crops or vice versa. One guy told me farmer is still responsible for keeping drift on his own property. Guess a trip to court and you would soon find out if it is you or the custom sprayer, ground or air who is responsible.

Comment

I dont know what he was spraying, I didnt go and ask. I just watched the plane doing its dipsy doodle thing and I thought it was quite an impressive exercse in mechanics and physics! It maybe he was just practicing, I dont know.
                  As far as court, just tell the judge "the chemical has to land somewhere" and let insurance take care it .

Comment

This year, aerial application may be the only way to get some of our fields sprayed. In court, weather data proving wind direction have gotten aerial applicators off the hook. Computers in the Turbine Thrush GPS, records weather conditions. Some farmers are getting rediculous with this suing business, making work for lawyers.

Comment

Sumdumd, you saying its okay to smoke someones crop?

Comment

When done properly, which is most of the time, the risk is minimal. No pilot is gonna spray a wht. field with canola right beside it if the wind direction is wrong.

Comment

During the wet years 2010- 2012 there was no other way to get your crop sprayed without foot-deep ruts. if you made ruts like that in lentils, how would you harvest what was left? One time we accidentally sprayed a neighbours crop (about a four acre corner) and he nearly had a heart attack over it. Then after harvest, he came over and said actually the crop yielded the same as the rest of his field. He is gone now and rumor has it he died with 28 million in the bank. Funny, how it goes.

Comment

MUD - Thought when I first saw this headline from S3 that it was to talk about his latest Multi Unit Deal

Comment

R5....lol belly laugh.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...