• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

fertilizer costs

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fertilizer costs

I have been doing some pricing of fertilizer lately and, in particular,
    liquid vs. granular nitrogen. The cost of liquid 28%UAN is once again
    running about 13% more per unit of nitrogen than granular 34-0-0. Is
    this a cost that I have a reasonable chance of re-couping through yield?
    Forget the convenience or cost of application, I have more time than
    money. I just need to know if applying liquid top dress will lead to
    better plant utilization of the applied product. Thanks in advance.

N is N is N... We waffled over going dry or liquid ourselves. Considering the extra corrosiveness of liquid, and what do you do with odd and ends, the extra cost, and supply, we went dry.
    Farmboy in NW SK.

Comment

Point of clarification. I actually meant post emerge application. The liquid 28%UAN would be injected at the 3-leaf stage and the granular would be broadcast at the 5 leaf stage.

Comment

If you adding additional N either because moisture conditions have improved or to try to get protein, the later you can wait the better. You just know more if you are 4 to 6 weeks into the growing season rather than 3.
        With granular, and probably liquid to, waiting to just prior to flag might give you a better guess as how much to apply.
        I had only one experience with liquid and was the last. It was applied in April prior to seeding. There was high trash cover, and it turned hot with no precip. till the first part of June. Most of the N was gone. 46-0-0 applied in the same field the night before 5/100's of rain did more good. A check strip with Nh4 showed the most growth as one would expect.

Comment

Have topped dressed for 7 years now with liquid and dry. We have used 46-0-0 on its own and with 'agrotain'. The liquid N has been put on with a dribble bar and coultered in. We have top dressed at all stages in all coditions.
          Long and short, liquid and dry both work if rain follows shortly after. Anything top dressed after the four leaf was pure protien, up to 4% higher.
          'N' applied before the 4 leaf went soley into yeild with no protien bump.
          If you use 46-0-0, recomend agrotain, if you go liquid, there is no substitute for injection.
          My personal feeling is that 30lbs of liquid injested will deliver the same bang as 40lbs dry spread. So do the math and remember every farm will have different results, so do what is best for you.

Comment

Sorry for the confusion and thanks for the input. I'm actually referring to post-emerge application of N to a corn crop. The latest price I received (today), shows liquid UAN coming in at 30 cents more per unit of N than granular 34-0-0 - almost identical. If this price is that close, does the advantage swing towards the liquid? The granular is much faster to apply, but with the liquid, I can inject regardless of the weather. Also, I own a liquid injection applicator and would have to rent (and possibly wait in line for) the granular broadcast spreader. Thanks again.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...