• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Historical forage pricing?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Historical forage pricing?

I am seeding some land down to hay and am wondering what the last 5 years prices have been like (leaving out this crazy year). So what is a fair price for 1. mixed hay 2. straight alfalfa 3. straight grass (non-export) 4. silage barley standing in the field. All other products would be baled in hard core rounds. I am making some projections for my banker and want some realistic numbers to give him. Thanks

We are located in So. Alta (Lethbridge Area) and in a normal year the price of the products you mentioned are as follows:
    mixed hay and grass hay sell in the range of $80.00 to $100.00 per short ton.
    Alfalfa will bring $100.00 a ton and is usually bought up by the dairies.
    Silage can vary from $16.00 to $30.00 per ton depending on the weather and if you are close to a feedlot or dairy. For budget reasons I would figure on $20.00 per ton.
    Baled green feed is around $70.00 to $80.00 per ton

Comment

Thanks for the info, I am surrounded by dairies but want to have some options and values determined before I approach them.

Comment

Just food for thought. If you could possibly be sending this hay any distance, it is much easier and efficient to have them in big squares, the smaller ones. More hassel in the field but they travel alot better down the highways.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...