• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Well thats a Wrap! 2015 is in the Books!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well thats a Wrap! 2015 is in the Books!

Well some times in farming you just have to push the envelope a little. Three machines became two as one had a issue with sieve and chopper.
    But after the fog hit and we had 10 acres to go we just kept going. Slowed a little but put it through the machine.
    So yes it wasn't the way I wanted to finish harvest 2015 but at least its done.
    This year we got out to the earliest start ever, had our peas off and in the bin before most neighbours then had those fields black a day later.
    But throw in a few family things and boom October hit.
    Well it wasn't a very good October as rain seemed to hit us every three days. So you would just get going and then the forecast would say you had one more and that night you would get from half to a inch of rain.
    But we fought on and finally 2015 is in the books.
    It will go down as one of the best crops in a long time. But really the key was the dry spring and black or Burnt ground. Yields were higher on these fields.
    As we head into winter in what seems to be 2009 all over for wet ground I hope that the snow stays away and we have a dry year in 2016 again.
    Water in our part of the world takes production.
    So its time to lick our wounds and fix the equipment that had a rough time with harvest and then start planning for next year.
    From what I am seeing the world is short of food Bullshit was just that Bull shit to take equipment Fert and seed to next level because these things never drop in value like our grain.
    Our Buyers of grain have No cash or problems back home.
    Farmers around the world grew to much and grain is every where.
    Some might not want to hear this but the Boom in Farming has left the building. Lets hope it doesn't take 30 plus years to come back.
    Have heard that some Mega Dealerships are slimming down in size, Cleaning house.
    I think 2016 will be a year to slip the clutch into neutral and glide through the next few years.
    Tec is nice but reality bites.
    Why produce more to get paid less never makes sense. Well yes it does to the suppliers of ours for us to give a crop every single thing. They get paid and we have to then sell our over supply for pennies.
    Lots of discussion will take place from now till planting but wow is all I can say for the harvest of 2015.
    Oh free wheat and others still harvesting if our farm was closer we would be their to help you get done no one would be left behind.
    Keep safe.

Good to hear you got it wrapped up.

Regarding helping neighbors/others. There are only certain circumstances where going in and helping someone who isn't finished is warranted in my mind. Catastrophic machinery problems, crippling family issues, or basically circumstances beyond their control. But if the guys who aren't or couldn't finish because of greed over need, or had to get that section before a neighbor got it, or can never get enough, poorly equipped for the amount of acres their farming,.... I'm sorry... start chewing... you bit it off. At the value and cost of running today's machinery how can it be justified doing it for nothing. I've said in the past, every acre I do for nothing for someone else is one less acre the machine will do for me.

If I get done and have time to help someone else, why wouldn't I just farm more myself? Why? Because I really don't like it that much!!!

Comment

So how does canola winter? Best case scenario? I know the worst, give me hope. Got more snow for the third time.

Glad you got done, SF3.

Comment

Have a nice day asshole!
        The new modern farmer.

In our area the guys that worked half their crop down earlier got done. The ones that didn't it depends on what you seeded and if you could get on the field at all. I had crop out tha I could t get on the field but my neighbor was able so I helped out a month ago. He came back now but it didn't matter we were always stuck
        Anyway.

Comment

good to hear hope free gets done also .
          . I agree farma , one of those pricks we helped every year ,said he was gonna bid against us on a quarter we had farmed for thirty years that came for tender . no, there is always special circumstances when we help , but most of these people got what they were looking for . anyone thinking they can get 3500-4000 ac out of a combine in this WET WET country where we farm , had better have luck on their side . there is no doubt , some areas got way to much moisture this fall to get done , but for the most part if you look around and neighbors are all done ,and you're not , you are farming too much land with not enough machinery/help

Comment

We posted same time free. Message wa for the modern farmer above you. Canola winters good about as many times as you ll win the 649 lotto.

Comment

free, there was some around here that wintered real good last year , made number 1

Comment

Re-read the post Riders.

What does being a "modern" farmer have to do with any of this. If I am the opposite of what some of these guys around here are. I had a chance to buy a quarter of land from a guy who helped us truck grain to the yard in fall, I passed and let the neighbor who runs a small dairy with a son who wants to stay home and farm with his dad have it.

If guys would put the ego on the shelf, all it is around here is a ****ing competition, guys who can't handle more taking it on because their inlaws are getting bigger, vicious circle. And they need anti-depressants.

Re-read the post again!

Comment

I helped the guy subdivide it to get the most value from the parcels he was selling. Another neighbor(cross between a vulture and weasel) offered him $80k for a quarter with 40 acres of Wascana Creek in it. He got $192K for the quarter(one mile by quarter mile square) we subdivided out of a half section.

Do you know me well enough to call me an asshole?

Comment

Every one is several times our size. If we get done before most, wonder why? Have helped when health issues happen. Lots of aggressive testosterone out there, great, someone needs to rent/buy from the 30-40% about to retire. Have at it and good luck, I was once in those shoes and you can make by retirement, only takes a lifetime!

Comment

Name calling at our age, how immature. Some guys remember when you helped them, others not. Best to just custom combiners when you are in a pickle. Then you don't have to depend on your memory to pay back. I know what you are saying Farma.

Comment

If we go what's 10 hr s get fuel. That's our take. Some remember some don't.

Comment

Not talking about the show boats and fly by nites. Talking about neighbours and farmers.

I have plenty of equipment.
                          But I have neighbours that don't it's not because they don't know better it's because tough sledding here. I have helped them before and would if I was done. Free wheat did n t have proper swather for wet but neighbor helped. That's the way it should be and the way it was. Free wheat knows he needs a better swather dryer etc but I've been there it's easy for others to say what a goof doesn t he know? People use all kinds of excuses not to help that never used to be, things have changed.

Even with our different political view if I lived by free and he needed help finishing I would.
                          I wouldn't have the face to see him or his family later. But that's just me.

Comment

well to each his own , don't think anyone was talkin about free , although I have heard people make fun of him on here because he isn't interested in farming half the country and has chickens and sheep , as for us , we have helped lots of neighbors and 90% don't remember . helped a guy with cancer a couple years ago , felt good . the unfortunate thing is now that every hour put on combine costs big money .

Comment

Riders, I appreciate that. I would be there for you as well, despite our bantering at times. If I could, I would. That is what life is about.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...