• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Harvesting in snow

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Harvesting in snow

Appreciate any harvesting tips re: swaths with snow/ice. Any experience with swath fluffers/inverters to shake off snow? Any experience with grain cleaners to shake off ice prior to binning? Also, what about combine settings? How can one minimize the amount of ice,crap buildup on seives? I have heard that it can actually be better to harvest when it's cold so material is less likely to freeze to seives. Thanks

i have harvested corn with snow on it and it works best when its cold...the snow doesnt stick to the seives as much amd most of it blows out....i have seen guys use swath inverters or round balers to shake out the snow as well...they seemed to work ok

Comment

A friend has combined in the snow, snow that covered the swath, all he followed was the bump in the field. He waited until the tempreture dropped to -15C. At that tempreture he said that the frost and snow just blow out the back, At about -10C or above the seives plug, then he learned new words in frustration. His advice is wait until it is cold. Also he found that even in the cold the grain was not a moist as it was before, though it was still tough and had to be handled accordingly.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
      • Return to Topic List
      Working...