• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friday Crop Report! on Thursday!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friday Crop Report! on Thursday!

Well this hit and miss year of rain gets to a person. I know how some of you feel. We have to this point being doing very well considering on the rain front but two quarters have seemed to miss every single rain. Even on Tuesday a storm brewed up I'm a half mile north of our yard talking to a neighbour and couldn't stay out side because it started to rain that hard so headed home and a 1/4 mile before our yard it quit. I check on radar and a circle of no rain was on the radar. The storm intensified as it closed in again on the other side.
    How is all I can say this be. Radar cant lie or can it. Some storms seem to be a very nice rain coming and actually never hit the ground.
    Ah a funny year. Total rainfall for week a couple shitty tenths.
    So here is the results of last week.

HRS is close to heading and fungicide application is on every ones mind. Funny on Saturday while I was doing Canola last liberty I walked into my HRS and ran my hand on the ground by the plants it came up wet and that day it was windy and what 33.
    We are in a area that fusarium has done issues to our grain over the year but not like Manitoba. Spraying will happen on fields where yield potential is highest as rains have seemed to miss this last week. South valley very good to Regina. North valley a shit show. But we had up till this week way way more. Where I have had very little rain those fields are now a 6 and will not hit their potential. Rain deficit with rest of farm is close to 3 inches. Remainder is nice and doing still a 9 to 10.

Peas are just entering flowering on late to full bloom on early burnt fields. Disease was put on early and late will happen today. Have a 160 acre test plot of BASF and Bayer with their new fungicides Ill keep posted. Peas are nice so far grab one and it moves a bunch a few feet away.

Oats that a week ago looked poor has recovered with help from last weekend rain and is filling in. Time will tell but still not best oats crop but it is moving closer.

Barley needs a drink on some that missed showers that was seeded early. Last weeks heat did thin the heard. Late looks real good and did get a fungicide as its heading out by Saturday.

Soy loves this weather and is growing by leaps and bounds. One guy did have a flower on early seeded. I didn't check but ours were a week later.

Corn has rows and also likes the heat on neighbours corn. Looks good, No planter just bourg but still looks good.

Flax is hit and miss some fields are so so nice and some are so so ugly with irregular growth.

Canola is still best crop every but can and soon will need a nice drink. Best and first time I have had cabbage in 8 to 10 years. Plants that were seeded with drill into mud along a slough germinated and are growing, last 10 no crop 50 feet out do to excess water.
    Most in area are either bolting early flower and a few full flower.
    Liberty strait cut vs. the DuPont strait cut is close with both approaching bolt. So a 10 but heat and one missed rain this week will drop it and start dropping it fast.

On the pasture front grass is slow and thin but guys seem to be doing ok as rains have helped some pasture. Hay is definitely not a very good crop but better than some areas.

So to wrap up the week with one thing is we finally are approaching a critical time with this crop and now could use a very nice little drink to take it to the next level. If we miss this week things will start to drop.

I do understand some received rain this week and some still are looking. Lots have been phoning crop insurance to see what to do. Family to the west and north have decided they have done all they can and are gone fishing. Why sit at home and watch for rain and hurt your neck looking up every time a cloud pops up.

Thunder storm rains years are not fun.

So remember its only a crop that every one wants a piece of but you have to do all the work. So hug your family as they are way more important than feeding the vultures who are waiting for the pay day.

Be safe!

7/10 total for the year over two showers nothing in three weeks. Pass a short but looking good. We'll rooted, great nodulation. Flowering good and early pods are filling 7 peas. An inch of rain should finish them now, hard to believe.

Copeland is a mess due to bridging in the tank. Caught it at 3 leaf. With it being so dry I didn't want to kill what was there. With omnistar I was able to run down the old rows and kill where I reseeded. So half is heading with some nice big heads, the other half is just starting to stretch. Neither one really tillered that great. A rain this week would have locked in 60 but now I don't know.

Hard white wheat and canola on new dirt. What a mess. Between the thistle surprise, seeding a touch shallow, frost and some electronic issues on the cart, it's just a ****ing mess. Thin, short, heading and bolting. Meanwhile every couple of weeks a few more seeds germinated. Maybe one of the four crops stages will catch some rain. The one quarter of canola without funk ups looked really good until Sunday. Following the weekend heat it looked like it had been sprayed with 2,4-D.
    I only have 50# of N on everything so at least I have a more compact plant to keep alive. With everything going into the the reproductive stage I no longer have the stress of trying to decide if I should add more N.

Organic oats is slow but steady. Organic soft white is finally starting to pop but has plenty of millet to contend with. This organic thing is growing on me. Put it in the ground and forget about it. Spend a day making smf once every 3 weeks.

Comment

Have you done a full micro/macro soil test on the organic land?

Comment

Tweety, I did one last fall. Most of it's reclaimed abandoned land so I expect some pretty good mineralization this year. Soil test was pretty weak though.

Comment

Our crop is progressing. We're ahead of last year.

Those of you that need rain, if it's too late to salvage this year, I hope you can get some to start some early winter wheat at least.

Comment

1/2 inch this week. Makes 1 inch at home and 1-1/2 down south all year.
            Saw one canola field sprayed out today
            Most fields dogs breakfast. Odd decent one but late. Bolting now.
            Peas just starting to flower. Some taller, but mine maybe a foot tall at best.
            Cereals gonna show a head this week.
            Havent looked at head size yet.
            Area fields range from not bad looking until you look closer to wth happened there!
            We have to run the combine but remains to be seen for what.

Comment

Grabbed the first inch yesterday on 1/2 the farm. Crop is highly variable but will make it above insurance guarantees by the looks of things. Long ways to go yet so time will tell. Peas and canola are poorest. Durum and red lentils will be somewhat reasonable.

Comment

Braveheart

How do you seed winter wheat into bone dry ground that still has seeds that haven't germinated yet?

Comment

Bucket,

Usually it starts raining about Sept 1... just right to germinate Winter Wheat.
                  Every thing else dies over the winter but the WW!!!

Spring rains still make the crop... but at least there is ground cover to save the soil from erosion.

Comment

Yes Bucket, that's why I said I hope you get some rain.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...