• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

6 row barley / feed barley

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6 row barley / feed barley

Comments on either?

Hey Klause, I gotta get the phone warmed up, almost a text a day time of the year!

What is your question? Using six row for feed, or ???

Thoughts on feed barley new crop?

Comment

Grew Champion two yrs ago, it's a 2 row with big yield. Avg 115, with 57 bu weight.

Comment

Go two row if you're combining for bushels and weight. Six row does okay but two row handles stress better and bushel weight is typically better. My experience anyway.

Comment

Six row has more dormancy, making it a weed in following years.

Comment

Guess I was overthinking the question. I agree. If growing feed barley, stick with two row and try Champion maybe. I liked it.

Comment

What is austenson like compared to champion. Lots of guys growing austenson here. Still grow all cowboy. Weighs okay yield sucks but great forage. Though yield isn't terribly far behind area average. 60 bushels is a decent yield for my crop zone according to crop insurance. Not too far guys can do 80 but my way and north it doesn't run much more than 10 bushels ahead of wheat. Some years wheat is same or better. I like cowboy because it's pretty aggressive and can choke weeds if seeded at 110lbs. I've thought about changing to something else but like the lower management needed to grow it.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...