• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maize Or Corn Facts

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maize Or Corn Facts

Maize, known in some English-speaking countries as corn, is a large grain plant domesticated by indigenous peoples in Mesoamerica in prehistoric times. The leafy stalk produces ears which contain the grain, which are seeds called kernels.

Corn is called maize by most countries, this comes from the Spanish word ‘maiz’.

Corn is a cereal crop that is part of the grass family.

An ear or cob of corn is actually part of the flower and an individual kernel is a seed.

On average an ear of corn has 800 kernels in 16 rows.

Corn will always have an even number of rows on each cob.

A bushel is a unit of measure for volumes of dry commodities such as shelled corn kernels. 1 Bushel of corn is equal to 8 gallons.

With the exception of Antarctica, corn is produced on every continent in the world.

There are over 3,500 different uses for corn products.

As well as being eaten by the cob, corn is also processed and used as a major component in many food items like cereals, peanut butter, potato chips, soups, marshmallows, ice cream, baby food, cooking oil, margarine, mayonnaise, salad dressing, and chewing gum.

Juices and soft drinks like Coca-Cola and Pepsi contain corn sweeteners. A bushel of corn can sweeten 400 cans of soft drink.

Corn and its by products are also found in many non-food items such as fireworks, rust preventatives, glue, paint, dyes, laundry detergent, soap, aspirin, antibiotics, paint, shoe polish, ink, cosmetics, the manufacturing of photographic film, and in the production of plastics.

Corn is also used as feeding fodder for livestock and poultry and found in domestic pet food.

As of 2012, the United States produces 40% of the worlds total harvest making it the biggest maize producer in the world (273,832,130 tonnes produced in 2012).

An area termed the "Corn Belt" in the US where growing conditions are ideal includes the states of Iowa, Illinois, Nebraska, Minnesota, Indiana, Ohio, Wisconsin, South Dakota, Michigan, Missouri, Kansas and Kentucky.

In the days of the early settlers to North America corn was so valuable that it was used as money and traded for other products such as meat and furs.

Corn is now a completely domesticated plant so you're unlikely to find it growing in the wild.

Corn can be produced in various colors including blackish, bluish-gray, purple, green, red, white and the most common yel

Im not down on Ag. Its just over and over they talk about how their is no place like it out their.
    Why not show the reality.
    Or simply why not Kick your kids out after high school let them sow their wild oats get a trade or degree and then decide if its the path they want to take.
    Realists adjust the sails in the wind and the wind has just changed a full 180.
    Ah Farming what a game.
    I like that saying Charlie.

Comment

When I say kick them out, I mean you provide the funding for University or Tec.
      If its what they want after that bring them in. They will be a great asset with what they learnt from being away from home. Their real world educated.

Comment

You have lived in both world - salary working for someone else (government) and a business (a farm). Which activity contributed more to growing your wealth/net worth? Which gave you more career provided satisfaction/gave you a reason to get up in the morning?

I won't comment on farming but there are a lot less young people going into agriculture as a career. I have no problem in recommending this career alternative. It remains a fun business to be involved with and career that requires imagination and innovation - things that make me wake up every morning. But maybe I am an optimist.

Comment

Basically the first 22 years with salary gave me a living and way to expand a farm. Land could be bought and paid for from farm living was covered from work.
          But this notion that farming is the be all end all lets hold hands and sing is bull shit.
          Show the realities how every day something is happening and you have to adapt or die.
          Today the funds are pulling out of soy and its dropping but yet SA has no rain for another week and its hot fricking hot.
          Oil is dropping and taking ever other thing with it down.
          Adapt or your done.

Comment

You better had a good constitution and thick skin if you want to farm. If you're a control freak and want everything you're way, stay away. If you can't handle risk, stay away. If you think you will be treated fairly just because you operate under high moral standards, you'll be disappointed.

If you grow better than average or average crops year in year out, you'll be ok. If you consistently are below average you will have a tough time or get squeezed out. We are expected to operate in a system of producing something with the cost of supplies out of our control and turn around a sell our produce at prices basically out of our control. If a neighbor grew a canola crop at break even prices and you only grew half as much, what are the odds of you getting twice as much money for your canola to break even? Go ahead and ask more, good luck.

There are easier ways to make a living. There is no glory in the vocation anymore and maybe never was. I do admit, it was alot simpler when I started farming over 3 decades ago. I am old enough to have used a horse and stoneboat for chores. Now instead of good a good horseman you have to be an electronic technician to get the chores done. Times change. Would I want to go back to that, no, but I don't want to be a second class citizen to the average working class person either.

If the public thinks farmers are a bunch of rich whiners, have at it. For the amount of risk we take, the rewards when there, should be high. It is a very high stakes poker game, tell them how much money you bury in the ground every spring without any guarantees of getting at least the amount you have in the crop back. Show them how much to tools of the trade cost. And don't give me that shit about getting by with older/cheaper stuff, for you to buy that equipment someone had to buy it new. And secondly, what other Industry player didn't forge ahead with advances in equipment and technology, I don't see the RRs burning coal in steam locomotives and the old network of wooden elevators have been replaced with high throughput concretes, so no I don't want to chore with the horse and stoneboat anymore either.

In the end it was MY choice to do this, no expectations or demands were put on me and none will be placed on the next generation. It's their choice as well, they were all presented with options and opportunities...

Agriculture, **** whatever....

Comment

I agree with the point. I wasn't pushed into this or told I will be taking over, or promised this is yours when Im done.
              I left so did every other family member. Two returned after years away and were educated etc.
              Rest live throughout Canada.

Simply I do see a promise of good times returning to some degree just about three to four years out. Till then hang on boys its about to get interesting.

Comment

Your a poet farmaholic. Couldnt have said it more true. There arent too many town kids that what do what we do. Hard on the nerves for sure.

Comment

Agreed, ➡YOU'RE⬅ a poet farmaholic

Signed:
                  The grammer nazi;-)

Comment

I assume we are talking about the good old traditional farming. The one where we keep doing the same thing, expecting different results?

Honestly, regarding this kind of farming, where neighbors compete feircly to lap up the remaining land, where machinery costs are amazingly high, where you have zero control over your end result whether it is prices, or the weather:

That kind of farming? I am not optimistic, particularly for new entrants, unless they are backed up by their parents and long paid for land, or first year inputs paid for them etc., which is kind of general around here at least.

Which is probably why I am pessimistic on traditional grain farming...Tough to compete with that kind of boost.

Where I see optimism in farming, is doing things differently. Some guys raise crickets, some raise cabbage. Some raise free range hogs, quail for eggs, sheep dairies, etc.

So much less capital and flash and iron is needed for these types of farming, and the demand outstrips the supply. Weather worries are eliminated as well.

So yes, I see a very positive future in agriculture, OUTSIDE traditional farming, which relies on weather, expensive machinery, relatively more land, railway companies, grain companies, seed companies, and is producing items that we have too much of already.

Been burnt by weather. Been burnt by dad's death, been burnt too many times to make me feel positive on agriculture. At least traditional ag... But that is just me.

I do see how some of my neighbors and other may be positive on ag. I would be too if I had free father labor, a free first year of inputs, a bunch of land equity thanks to grandpa, to back up my new iron dreams.

I see both sides. Under certain circumstances, one may be positive, and I see why. Under others, one may be negative, and I see this too. Regarding traditional larger scale grain farming at least...

Comment

Free wheat k agree s but biggest point is late to table are in for a rough ride!

Comment

yip pretty good post farmaholic. Other than threads of pessimism.

Farming and ranching are the most wonderful way to live on this planet.

We are the most fortunate businessmen to live - ever.

We are our own boss, answering to no one but the banker. And that depends on how much risk "WE" choose to take.

We are rewarded for our efforts. We are free to choose our crops and our livestock and our inputs.

We can chose to build kingdoms and pay the price if we take on too much risk.

We can chose compassionate means for the "extra" we earn when we earn it or take the role of those urban folks that some of us have come to admire and play their game of earning money from other peoples energy in the even higher risk game of stocks and bonds and such.

The only things that are real on this entire planet are land and the beings that inhabit that land. The rest is all stories. We chose those stories.

And as farmers and ranchers in Canada, we still have the ability to CHOSE a good story.

What a ****ing beautiful sunrise out here at the Caroline Ranch this morning. The risks that I have taken chasing a dream could all come down tomorrow, but I am ****ing well going to enjoy TODAY.

Comment

Coleville, I caught that after it was posted. I'm sure there is lots more to correct in my drivel. Lol

Comment

Re bosses, Mother Nature DICTATES here.

Comment

Yes she does! You have one chance! Even the Cowboys if she wants to not rain their is no feed!
                              We live in a short season area in canada you have one chance every year! She picks the winners and losers!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...