• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2nd cut alfalfa

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2nd cut alfalfa

we heard that u can safely 2nd cut alfalfa after a killing frost. looking at the forecast that will be soon. we have never 2nd cut before and am looking for some feed back and input. thanx

A killing frost for alfalfa is probably around minus 8 so it takes a major frost... I don't see much of a problem if the plant has basically become dormant but I've passed your question onto one of our forage experts ... Will submit his reply shortly ....

Comment

We had a low of -6.5 last night. I went and did a second cut of my low spots in my alfalfa field, left the high land to trap snow. Crop in the low land was tilted over pretty good from the frost. With the lack of moisture lately the plants were basically dormant anyway.

Comment

In the east we always take a second cut. What we are concerned about is taking a third cut after the end of August. If a farmer wants to take a third cut in the fall we suggest waiting until the plants harden off ( stop growing). This usually occurs following a temperature drop below -6 celsius. I would also suggest mowing high so as to leave a good amount of stubble to collect snow.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...