• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fine Plant Material that Sifts out of Baler

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fine Plant Material that Sifts out of Baler

We bale grass hay (mainly orchard, fescue and timothy)on a small acreage. I have noticed that the fine plant material that sifts out of the bottom of the bale chamber would be useful as feed. I have gathered this material when we have had to rebale some bales in one spot and fed it to my chickens. The birds ate it. I started to think that maybe if I could pelletize it I could feed it to the stock as well. Has anyone used an attachment or catcher that can gather this stuff or made something that does this job?
    Thanks,
    Eva

I think I'm right in saying this is the best part of you plant; bits of leaves mainly. The leaves are the most nutritious part. Do a feed test sometime of this fine material and compare it to the hay in general. I can guarantee the protein and energy (the 2 main components of the analysis) will be higher in the fines.

There used to be a round baler that had a metal pan on the bottom that was supposed to prevent the fines from going out the bottom. I've forgotten the brand. I don't know how effective it was.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
    • Return to Topic List
    Working...