• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have trouble finding and motivating good farm workers?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone have trouble finding and motivating good farm workers?

We had a discuss with our farm employee the other day...he is a nice young guy and we treat him pretty well I think. He has made a couple of expensive mistakes, not paying attention.
    Wondering what others do to find and keep employees motivated.
    Thanks

Did the costly mistakes have anything to do with the long stressful hours we keep?

Comment

Our youngest son has worked on a dairy farm for going on three years. A normal month this (slow) time of year is 245 hours and in the fall he put in a high of 365 hours in October with harvest and all.

Lately, all he does is eat, sleep and work. He falls asleep at the supper table. The odd weekend he goes snowboarding - he milks every other weekend.

Recently, the boss offered him the position of head herdsman because the current one might be leaving for a an overseas position very soon. At 19 years old and almost 3 years experience there, he is the longest tenured employee there, making him the most qualified for the job.

He was offered seriously big money if he takes on the additional responsibility. The boss respects him and values his abilities. And he is a good, good kid.

But he told the boss NO, I'm leaving soon.

Because he is not developing anything for himself there and he is worn out.

I would like to see him stay there - steady work, close to home, good pay and benefits etc. But it's too much work and he's burning out...

So, I guess there are different ways of assessing motivation. Offering slavery is not one of the better ones. You gotta treat them like the human being that they are.

Comment

Had second to foreman quite yesterday. Went to new mine locally...Starting at $25/hour plus o.t. after 44 working 50 hours min plus full benefits immediately. I'm happy for the guy, but sick inside as-well. I'm sitting at 50% turn-over....this high rolling mining sector is sucking all the good farm workers up and it's getting dire. Farm neighbors are starting to bid employees from each other in an effort to get best guys to run big machines for big hours. Worst is these fella's all know it and are playing the system...And don't care!!!

Comment

DaveyShields...

Hmmmmmmm..... Runnin Twelve Tousand Acres & complainin' about payin some workers to take er off. What da Crop wort to You's???? You sound like a Baby Chicken, Cheap, Cheap, Cheap. Fat Cat's around here buy New Sleds fer da Worker's, Take on Trips, Pay is Superb, Bran New Equipment To Run, Womens Clothes Fallin like da Leaves in da Fall, Narcotics to No End, You name it, dey got'er. Soooo, In utter words, PAY TO PLAY, If'n you's want to keep da Slaves!!!!!!!

Comment

Yes.... all the sectors are having problems keeping good staff. My friend works for a farm supply outfit. Its a catch 22 where the margins and expenses can't justify paying those kind of wages. Local truckers are having smart ass kids out of highschool telling them they're worth oilfield wages...... watch the freight costs go up if they have to.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...