• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grain bin question

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grain bin question

I need to upgrade some bins for the future but I don't want to go too big such that they cannot be moved for resale. What is the widest and/or biggest bin that can be moved in one piece without dismantling here in Alberta?

Rook, probably got answers elsewhere by now, but I'll throw my 2 cents worth in.

We have moved many a bin in the past 15 years, most of which are 3300bu. Butlers and Westeel.

Have moved two 5,000bu. ones but they were very close to our farm. Most power lines are way too low in my opinion and that is usually our main obstacle. Width wise, just gotta plan your routes well. Most floors in our experience are at least 19.5 feet in diameter. Irrigation canal bridges can be narrow etc.

We have taken a bin in half once but that was not much fun to reassemble, too floppy.

Cheers,

Steve

Comment

Quite a few years ago I bought 2 - 5000bu. Westeels and split then to bring them home several miles.

We dropped a cable down through the filler hole, through the center of a pickup truck tire and rim, slid a bar through the loop and lifted the whole bin by the roof onto a bale wagon (adapted for the width). We then split it between the 5th and 6th rings and lifted the top off and set it on another bale wagon.

Once at home, we just reversed the operation. Moved the two bins in about six hours, plus the time required to remove and replace the full floor aeration.

Put a slider bar up the leading edge of the loads to deflect any wires up and over.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
      • Return to Topic List
      Working...