• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

maturity of cereals?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

maturity of cereals?

What is the order of relative maturity for cereals? (longest to earliest) spring triticale, cps wheat, duram, spring wheat, oats, barley? I realize that days to maturity will vary with location but the ranking should remain constant. (also how does mustard compare with argentine canola?)

You're right in saying there are differences in maturity depending on the area and variety but here's how these crops stack up (in general) from latest to earliest;
    Durum wheat>CPS wheat>S. triticale>HRS wheat>Argentine canola=Oats>barley.

I don't have a lot of experience with mustard but I suspect it will be equal to slightly later than argentine canola in S. Alberta where it is generally grown.

Comment

Murray McLelland and I rank the maturity of cereals in the following order: spring triticale > durum > CPS and ES > HRS = oats > barley
      Yellow mustard is later than brown mustard which is close to Argentine canola for maturity.

Comment

so if I can grow spring triticale and harvest as grain I can grow duram or yellow mustard?

Comment

Yes, if you can grow spring triticale to maturity consistently, you should be able to grow the other crops. However, remember that durum quality is very important and isn't guaranteed just because of adequate heat units for maturity. Yellow mustard needs to be seeded on fields free from canola, ****seed and brown mustard volunteers.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...