• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No Till Drill

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Till Drill

I am consdiering using a No Till Disk Drill to rejuvenate a hay field. does anyone have advice on Brand, type and techniques?

What kind of sod are you dealing with and what would you like to put in? I have a homebuilt drill with barton single shoot openers it has no disturbance (GPS is almost necessary) and a bourgault 4710 it does a little more disturbance as it curls out the odd strip of sod. Still does a very nice job. Have seeded canola into old hayland with good success. Only seeded forages into stubble last year. That was a wreck because of dryness here. Where there was good moisture it worked great.

Comment

I live in the SW of Alberta in the foothills at the base of the mountains. It is an area with thin Black soil.The soil is very hard and difficult to penetrate until worked up. The seed mix will be alfalfa, meadow brome and pubescent wheatgrass.

Comment

The meadow brome could be a problem if you are using a high percentage just due to the bulkiness of the seed. If penetration is a problem definitely go for a barton opener. It will seed right through the hardest packed roads in a field. I have never used one but a deere 750 does a very nice job as well. I would recommend taking the forage out for a year to allow the sod to break down before trying to seed grass back into it. Just my two bits.

Comment

I usually use a mixture of about 35% alfalfa then an even mix of the meadow brome and pubescent wheatgrass. that way it can be grazed or put up for hay.I agree with you on the not trying to ressed immediately. Have tired that and sorry I didn't wait.

Comment

I usually use a mixture of about 35% alfalfa then an even mix of the meadow brome and pubescent wheatgrass. that way it can be grazed or put up for hay.I agree with you on the not trying to ressed immediately. Have tired that and sorry I didn't wait.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...