• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Big problem with RR Canola

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big problem with RR Canola

Hi, I'm usually over in the beef forum, but I think this may be the best place to pose this question.

We grow roundup ready corn for our cows to graze. We sprayed it with roundup, and then saw that everything did not die, so went out to look closer. The field is full of roundup ready canola. We have never grown rr canola, in fact we haven't grown canola for at least 25 year.

The railway track runs through our home half section, and the closer you get to the track, the thicker the canola is. In fact, if you took the thickest part and spread it over the whole field, you'd have the nicest canola crop for miles around. We think it blew out of a grain car.

It's too big to spray, and it's going to come back and haunt us for a long time. We are not impressed.

Just wondering, in a case like this, what would everyone here do? Do we go to the railway? Monsanto? A lawyer? Or does this happen all the time, and there's no sense in going anywhere.

We've never seen anything like this.

On thinking about this a little a couple of things come to mind. You have a good, airtight case because of your long-time, non-canola cropping history.

So it would be evident that the canola has become a pest, almost a noxious weed.

Ma Monsanto will not like the bad publicity that this would give them.

It must ultimately become their problem to rid your fields of the plant over which they hold proprietary rights.

Oh wait, maybe those rights only hold when you actually WANT the stuff in your field.

Percy Schmieser (sp) will love this.

Comment

This is exactly in the middle of a half section of land that is divided on an east west line by the railway track. North of the tracks has been sowed to hay for at least 15 years, and where the canola came up is 1/4 mile from the closest road to the south, and beyond that road is a gravel pit.

The closest canola crop last year was about 3/4 of a mile away, to the northwest, on the other side of the hay land.

No way that we put it there, that's for sure.

Comment

Boy, I would sure like to see someone like you or should I say your situation, to go after them. It could potentially put them in their place.

Comment

There are pictures here. I don't know if it's possible to post pictures on Agri-ville, so I put them up on ranchers.net

http://ranchers.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=45563

I'm wondering if anyone else up the railway tracks from us has the same thing going on. I'd hate to think there is someone growing conventional canola who would probably not even know it's there.

Comment

I'm sure interested in knowing what comes out of this for you.

Comment

Try attiziane, kills rr canola in your rr corn.

Comment

Sounds like things are too advanced.
                Monsanto talks big about working with farmers on issues like this so I would say talk to them and they should fix you up. Cough cough.

Comment

I think it may be possible to harvest them together and separate or are you planning to winter or swath graze?

Comment

spray with pardner full rate will kill blooming rr canola. I also oversprayed a few feet of corn with axial and frontline xl and can see no damage to the corn.

Comment

I'm sure that there is a spraying solution if the fields are not too wet to get into, but the point here is that Monsanto has a problem on their hands and they would only be too glad to have it just go away without costing them anything.

And that would be just wrong.

Comment

The real sad thing here is that not too many people on this earth have the cash to fight them.They know damn well that they are liable and will lose in court but they will appeal the decision over and over and over until you've spent your life savings and cannot afford to fight anymore.THAT is the corporate way.

Comment

What about Banvel?

Comment

Banvel will totally screw the corn up at this stage. Gotta go really early with it.

Comment

You might want to contact Ed White at the Western Producer (ed.white@producer.com). It would make for a interesting.

You never know what happens. Doesn't hurt trying.

Thanks.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...