• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

mid row banders

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mid row banders

Has anyone ever tried using shanks for a mid row bander as opposed to coulters on a Bourgault 5710 seeder? trhanks.

Ah, the fuel companies best freind.

Comment

I used mid row shanks on a 5710 for 10 years from 1999. I was also using anhydrous and think shanks are as good as coulters if using anhydrous. Otherwise with shanks you will tend to pull out more rocks if you have them things. Now of course you are using 3/4 inch knives and you only need 330 trips on the mid rows and 220s on the seed shanks. The shanks system on the 5710 puts some mid row shanks on the back and mid section of the 5710, I did not like that as it throws dirt on the seed rows so I did re arrange some shanks to better that. I had the 64 foot 12.5 inch spacing so any other config would be different. I am now using seedmaster and seem to have more anhydrous to the atmosphere than the bourgault mid row shank system. I like the seedmaster for consistensy of seed depth. Bourgault was much more reliable for keeping going in the long run. If I can remember correctly I torched the bourgault anhydrous tubes off and welded my own on closer to the bottom, I cannot seem to do that with seedmaster as I would have really bad plugging problems. Oh I think also if using shanks on the5710 go with 3/4 inch wide knives same as the seed knives, you will have to put a spacer on top of the shank to get your depth deeper than seed.

Comment

So the purpose of midrow band is to fertilize the weeds and promote weed growth and tillage to kill soil organisms in between the seed rows? Only a farmer could be convinced this is a good thing by clever marketing. Sheesh.

Comment

Years ago i worked with a farmer who is one of the top in his area. He used mid row banders and he loved them. Since the fertilizer prills are further away seed damage is not likely to occur. But it comes down to what ever works for you.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...