• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Satalite high speed Internet

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Satalite high speed Internet

does anybody have experience with Satalite high speed Internet.
    reliability?
    speeds? vs DSL or landline.
    costs Hardware and subsciptions
    good companies?
    experiences?

I think you are better off going for DSL or Cable if it is available. With Satellite you need to dial in to make your request for data, which is then beamed to you via satellite. Your dish does not broadcast your requests for information. The results should be better than dial-up because you are only sending small bits of data as you request pages. It will take just as long to get a responsefor the data from the originating server. The only possible difference in speed over DSL or Cable would result from the satellite being able to pipe much more data to your dish than the other systems. But, I have never seen any proof that satellite would be in any way superior.

Comment

Another new option is wireless Internet over F.M signal. Obviously you need to be in range of the server. Cheaper than satellite but more expensive than DSL. Lots of new providers in the more populated areas.

Comment

I'm not sure where one responder got his information. The sat. internet I am familiar with, don't have it yet - but soon, is 2 way and depending on what package you go for is as fast or faster then adsl. In my part of the country many are using it and there is now a wait list for instalation.

Check out www.xplornet.com. It should answer most of your questions.

Bryan

Comment

A few of us in the Melfort area just got wireless internet. There are at least 3 providers out of Melfort and maybe more. The one I'm with can be found at www.staffcomm.com

Comment

have www.shockware.com in southern alberta. Has been 10 times faster than dial up. In a couple of weeks, speed should be as fast as high speed. They have been waiting for new equip as they have had quit a few subscribers which has made it slower. I have a wire dish on the cable of my roof which picks up signal from 7 miles a way.

Comment

I'm needing a tower because I have trees around my yard that are in the way. Anyone know of a good used one or long power poles for sale?

Comment

I use wireless from CANwan.com. It is set up as a co-op. It cost more to join the co-op but monthly rates are about a fifth of normal cost. It is not covering a lage area yet, but expanding here iln central Sask.

Comment

Im in southern Mb. I am currently hooked up with xplornet.com . Its a bit pricey but to me it worth it for not having to sit and wait for pages to load. Dsl is not available to me because of the distances involved. The service has been great but the cost is high.

Comment

We have been with xplornet.com since Dec 2005. We live in the Peace Country of Alberta. The service has been very, very good. The initial hardware and installation was about $1300, (travel included) we pay about $55/month. Best part is that it DOES NOT need the phone line. Also with a wireless router in the house, several computers can use the internet at the same time. I would highly recommend it if you cannot access DSL or line of site systems.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...