• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Herd Management Software

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Herd Management Software

I am looking for herd management software. We are new commercial cattle breeders. We have 25 head right now but I would also use it for my dad's cattle as well. Total cattle-approx. 100 head but hopefully, growing every year. I would like a windows based program that is fairly inexpensive. Any suggestions?

Lisa: There is a software program called CowSense. This program is herd management software with versions for commercial and purebred operations. It is developed by Midwest Microsystems and distributed here in Canada by Tradex Agri-Systems in Calgary. Call 888-262-2902 for Tradex. Thanks for your questions and good luck. Let me know if you find any other strong programs. Jory Lamb

Comment

Hello, Further to Jory's note, I believe that UFA now markets CowSense too. I know you don't want a DOS program but I believe that I've heard rumours that Alberta Agriculture is working on a windows based version of their Cowchips program which is good program that also includes the nutrition component, the forecasting portion, production evaluation tools and benchmarks for cow-calf operations in this province.

Comment

You're right Paladin, Alberta Agriculture is working on the windows upgrade for CowChips. We don't have a target date for release which tells me we are a ways a way from being finished. The Herd nutrition componet has been redone for windows and is marketed as Cowbytes and there will be a cost of production module released this winter that is windows based. Last inside rumor I heard on a release date for Cowchips for windows was Dec 2000. You can check out Cowchips capabilities at this web address http://www.agric.gov.ab.ca/ruraldev/homestdy/cowchip$.html

Comment

Hi Lisa - This reply is probably too late. I was glad to see that Jory was quick to suggest Cow Sense as a possible solution for you. I am also a dealer for Cow Sense, as well as a commercial cow/calf producer. If you already have purchased it, I suspect you are already enjoying its benefits. If you are still looking, another possibility is the Red Wing Cow/Calf Commercial program. It does almost the identical functions as the Cow Sense, although the video reports may not be as sharp and clear, and it may have less 'drill down' capability. However, it may be a program well worth looking at. It is on sale for January only at $295 !! I do not mean this to be a pesky 'sales presentation' or pressure tactic! If you are still in the market, please contact me for more information, or a Demonstration Copy of the program. Thanx ! Ross Moon rrmoon@telusplanet.net 780/785-2624

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...