• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wheat swath timing

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wheat swath timing

Wondering what others consider the ideal time to swath wheat. I believe I am pushing it when half the seeds I can splat. Other half thick doe. Days are getting shorter, and the peas I swathed were down a week tomorrow and they are still untestable. Hot days but humid not much wind plus shorter days I think we can swath earlier than normal for most crops. Just think gotta go on something.

30kmh wind forcast for tomorrow. What to do?

Comment

what do you mean by "splat" ?

Comment

I can squish it to flat or what ever shape with my fingers quite juicy. Harder ones are hard to flatten.

Comment

hopper if it would have been a normal year by now all the durum and HRS would have been desiccated. But this year Durum is same as you described Splat to Dough. HRS is starting to firm. Early wheat looks OK and desiccated it has to do some thing.

Comment

OK Hopper, my durum is also about at that same stage, splat to hard dough. checked mine over today and i think i'll wait till Monday or Tuesday, as i've found plenty of shrunken kernals in what is mature already, so don't care to add more. i noticed in the pea fields, that the lower spots that were sprayed had dimpled peas when combined. just saying. hoping the forecast holds!

Comment

Hopper,

The old tried and true method is that if the average kernel can be cut with a thumb nail... without rupturing... then it is filled.

Comment

Hopper,

That is what it must be meant by... 'a rule of thumb'!

<(>:} Grin

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...