• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sept 1 and not harvesting yet.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sept 1 and not harvesting yet.

Well in two days its Sept 1st I have crop that has been in the ground for over a 120 days that's peas and Durum plus some Hrs. Then at 100 Canola and Barley, and oats at 90. Yet all we have done is peas are desiccated and a lovely mat of wild oats came in august. It started with Ideal seeding, cooler but lots of moisture from last fall and winter. Then Frost Frost Frost reseed some. Warm dry June and July, then wet august. Now as we approach sept on has to wounder what will take place. We have had a nice week of some heat but funny thing windy all summer now not even a breeze. And some farmers figure they can get a bumper every year, well mother nature wins 9 out of 10 and one she gives you so you keep going.
    Now prices god where is Mr potash and the world must grow more food. HA HA HA HA. Yea we grew it and now we have.
    1.70 Oats
    3.50 Barley Malt.
    4.00 HRS if we are lucky.
    4.00 Durum also if were lucky good thing they made me keep all that durum over to protect my buyers and keep a market that pays so much.
    9.00 canola if were lucky they will kill this price.
    flax in tank.
    Lentils crashed and peas well were 9 last year then 7 now 5.
    But on other side roundup is down 50% but seed costs and fert are climbing. So in the end we will break even again in this wonderful game of farming. HA HA HA HA.

Now we are going to get according to drew is a week of hot temps. Some will get peas done and lentils (20 bus yield heard out their due to disease). Well lets hope we have a long Sept and October to harvest. Were ready but have nothing to do. Makes for interesting days. How is every one else doing and where are they in terms of harvest and yield.

Comment

Worse shape then you. Nothing swathed and early canola to be swathed this week. Will be at least another week before the combine hits the field.

Comment

We've got a long way to go yet. Might start cutting some canola on Monday but everything else is still way to green. It's probably going to be another two weeks before we really get rolling.

Crops all look good now, but will they be able to finish is the question. Particularly the soybeans.

Some guys are starting to get squirrely, I'm seeing some fields getting cut that just look too green to me.

Comment

Barley N of Wadena seeded May 4, 115 days, just being cut. Some Canola still in bloom, average is firm seeds no color change, a week or so if sunny. Wheat filled but earliest is a week away to swath or desiccate. The weather sounds like 90% will make it but when will harvest happen? Looks like mid October. Last year combining oats today, canola 75 % swathed, Wheat was ready to cut.

Comment

we have guys with same disease, see field have to go, spraying green stuff with roundup. swathing canola with no color change. I have to admit some peas were green side to. Big guys aren't scared yet but funny smaller guys that have never seen a October harvest are scared ship-less. Took weekend to move at lake and then will get going on something Monday. Might deliver oats and take option for march. But that's giving them supply when they should be paying for it. Still have wheat that's not in dough stage.Canola field finished flowering but still weeks away. One thing we are building this year is a perment area for grain bags. Leveling and packing then set up.

Comment

Here in the Melita/Deloraine area of SW MB lots of Canola being swathed. 90% of it too green IMO. I just finsished swathing six quarters 70% of field was good to go, yellow to brownish color but pods still leathery, 10% was grass green, and 20% you just about straight cut.

I swear most guys just don't understand the bushels and dollars lost swathing when fields are still green.

Most of the Winter wheat done here, an most peas barley and early spring being combined, have zero clue as to yield as I haven't talked to anyone who would give me a straight answer about that.

Will probably start swathing the rest of the canola Wed. next week. A neighbour who plated canola right next to the field I will go to next was swathing his on thursday and friday (way too green) so I'm guessing wed will be close.

AS

Comment

OOPS should read,

I just finsished swathing six quarters 70% of field was good to go, yellow to brownish color but pods still leathery, 10% was grass green, and 20% you COULD just about straight cut.

AND

A neighbour who plaNted canola THE SAME DAY I SEEDED MINE, right next to the field I will go to next was swathing his on thursday and friday (way too green) so I'm guessing wed will be close.

Here's a hint, if there are still leaves on the canola plants, your swathing way too early.

Another tip go to the paint store and get some green paint chips, some yellow paint chips and some brown paint chips. Then go and look at your fields, from a high vantage point if at all possible. IF the field looks anything close to any color on the green paint chips, DON'T swath yet. If it resembles anything on the yellow or brown paint chips, your probably good to go. If it looks kinda like a light mushroom color, either swath it at night or straight combine it.

Green in standing canola is the color of Money LOST.

Comment

I agree, swath too green, could lose 3-5 bu/acre due to excess shrinkage plus possible green count
                  --- that will pay for your seed or 1/2 of your fertilizer anyway. We swath from 19:00 to 13:00 hours to prevent shattering if all the fields are advancing too fast for us to keep up. -- make sure at a minimum the top seeds are hard, main stem 50-60 % black. Frost can change things, but I've only been frosted out once and that was in mid august a few years ago - not much could be done about that. That is a good rule of thumb about the leaves!

Comment

A third durum swathed rest desicated canola 80 percent swathed combing malt barley and stuck on the damn grain cart
                    But crop is awesome

Comment

u the only one that can keep up on the cart CP?

Comment

Why the cart CP we use semis three do the trick. Combine to the semi.

Comment

Started winter wht here, yeild all over the map. Hope to start peas tue/wed. S/F , grain carts keep the combines moving continuosly - more efficient use of time. Add up the hrs/day unloading back at those trucks.

Comment

But I take every thing home to bags and bins, Don't want extra hours on a four wheel drive. Also dont want to pay a guy to sit in a tractor idling in a field. That's just the way i see it. We use three combine operators and the three semis. One driver trucks are left at side of field like in Australia or USA. But yes if they are moving all the time at the end of the day you will do more. Just real tight.

Comment

Two combines a cart and a bagger,there is no idle time and i JUST make it back in time to dump(on the go).Bagger is in the field and takes the carts grain at full boar.Of course most crops arnt like this one.

Carts take off massive amounts of wear and tear on the trucks and at some logistical point are like having an extra combine.The guys with me are a little greener so i get this job-which probably seems backwards to some.

Sask(or anyone) i would love to get the bags all at the yard.What system are you using to go from truck to bag?Has anyone ever used that televeyore contraption?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...