• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carbon credits

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carbon credits

What's everyones opinion on Viterra's carbon credit program?....good,bad or ugly?

I applied as soon as i could, but i farm riverlots and they cant get this in their program. Pack of idiots, waste of time. Cant even get a reply to what i can get.

Comment

Wait 6 years the carbon credits will be worth either 100 times more or worthless. I will wait for the 100 times more. Remember once you sell them you cannot sell them again

Comment

Anyone know what the deal is with rented land? Vitterra says the landlord has to sign off on it. Does this mean that as a renter I am screwed and the landlord can file for it?

Comment

The land lord would be an idiot to give them to you.

Comment

can't disagree to that but why should he be able to. Hes not the one farming it. He's not the one who chose to do no till? I Don't understand why he would get a say. It should be up to the person farming it. Does this mean then that the landlord can file for it?

Comment

The carbon credits are only going to be good for a certain undetermined amount of years to sell to the point of saturation in the soil, in fact the sellers are hiding that information of max. carbon sequestration from you. Selling carbon credits are like putting a lean on the land. They will not be able to till the soil ever again or they may have to buy them back at the much higher price , for that reason the owner should be the to determine to sell them. For what they are paying it is not worth it.

Comment

Viterra is not in it for good will as much as profit, just keep that in mind also. Perhaps you should purchase the land then sell the carbon credits if you so choose.

Comment

I am wondering if the carbon credits are registered on the back of your title. If I buy farmland and till the soil unaware that the previous owner sold the credits, what will be the outcome? I would not have a contract with the carbon credit buyer.

Comment

Just a couple points to make. Firstly, carbon aggregation contracts are typically only for the current year and past years that are eligible. Secondly, rented land is a unique situation. The carbon credit is created as the result of management decisions (no-till or min-till), but it also includes carbon sequestered in the soil. To give clarity to ownership over the carbon credits, an assisgnment agreement is often used. The assignment agreement "assigns" the carbon credits to the land operator or renter. The land renter can then contract and sell the carbon credits. How the renter and owner share the sales proceeds is thier business. Lastly, the carbon market is just getting started and it really pays to do your homework before signing up to sell your carbon credits. In any case, its not something to rush into at this time.

Comment

Carbon credits are not registered on the titles but neither are a lot of out dated buried fuel tanks either.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                      • Return to Topic List
                      Working...