• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Midge

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Midge

Anyone finding midge this year?
    Checked my fields at the tooo early stage and found not a one at sundown. Did notice a plane on the earlier planted wheat fields so just wondering what others are seeing.

Checked last night not a one. Few more days and were out of the woods.

Comment

Checked a field at 8:30, saw alot, perhaps one per head. Wheat is not flowered. All other fields with more flowered saw very few,till about 10:00.

Comment

Actually seeing 1 per head now also on first plantings. Trying to hold off spraying yet as don't want to spray too early but looks like a sure thing now.

Comment

Lawsey.

1. Somebody needs to tell Geddes that there is money to be made in the lower value markets, too.

Not everyone drives a BMW. There are Fords.

2. Someone needs to tell Geddes that in the lower price markets, the marketer doesn't underbid in order to make a sale. Lawsey. Instead, the marketer establishes a sound working relationship. Reliability. Service.

No everyone buys a 2 carat diamond ring.

3.Somebody needs to tell Geddes not to trash the Minneapolis Grain Exchange. After all, the Wheat Board have their own CWB marketing manager sitting as a Director at the exchange. Duh!

4. Somebody needs to tall Geddes that MGX sets the world price of grain. Does he think Kola, Manitoba Feed Mill sets the world price of grain?

Somebody needs to get a headhunter to find a replacement for Geddes.

Farmers need to trade UP.

Haney sounds like he's licking at the ass ort ideas of supply management by asking, "How many acres should be produced this year?" Somebody go tell him to milk cows, he'll be better suited to woking with dairy guys/quotas/jail. He should keep his nose out of grain.
          A few diplomatic tips for your bile to sort through. Pars

Comment

Does anyone know where one could purchase a swept net? Phoned Melfort Tisdale and Nipawin none around and in fact a couple of places I phoned didn't even know what I was talking about.Have been checking but can't seem to see much for numbers,some checks nothing,hard for me to believe there would be none in some checks, I think the eyes are failing.

Comment

Take a paper plate cover it in canola oil and sweep the heads.good way to check lots of places in a hurry.

Comment

Midge are so tiny that the pie plate could blow them away. I feel best is with a flash lite after 8 pm. You can see them on the heads. Also part the wheat and see them lower in the canopy. Neighbor grabs a fist full of heads and shakes them a bit, then uses flash lite and guesses number of midge in flight. Last year at peak they were thick by the thousands. http://www.gov.mb.ca/agriculture/crops/insects/fad47s00.html

Comment

Shit just hit the fan literally. Cannot count how high midge are per head now. Basically if don't spray crop is totally destroyed. Will start tonight I think. But little worried about staging.

Comment

Actually we were in the minus 600 zone and many farmers not intending to even look for them.

Comment

Hopper, approximately what area are you located at?

Comment

Still saw more on one field, very few on the early wheat. Might be the males? Early wheat flowering. Try for most midge count till all heads emerge. Lorsban kills eggs. They need 4 days to hatch. We will check once more. I would say we are seeing less than last year, and this is in a 600 to 1200 area.

Comment

St. Gregor Leroy area. Actually it was the evenning of the 22nd when it was just a thick cloud of midge in the crop, just before the few drops of rain in the evening. Funny thing the next day didn't hardly see any and this morning nothing. Will continue spraying because of what I seen before. Most neighours are spraying and can hear the plane working usually. Nice to have my own sprayer this year so I don't worry about where the custom applicator is or where the plane is or did it even get sprayed.

Comment

We will spray tomorrow, 4th day after first seeing the midge numbers to get max kill and eggs to date. Wheat 10% flowered in these fields. Early fields mostly flowered with less numbers, so not susceptible. Lorsban is sold out in Kelvington and Archerwill.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                            • Return to Topic List
                            Working...