• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dollar Down Hard over night Canola Also Down.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dollar Down Hard over night Canola Also Down.

Hm here goes another theory shot to hell. Dollar down Canola also down hard. I thought the dollar effects canola the other way. Higher dollar our product is tougher to sell.
    Oh the market doesn't believe were in for a 9.6 ml ton crop, Canola will recover and produce phenomenal yields it goes on and on and on. Well here is a quote. Take last yeas yield and chop 30% you can see where you will be now add in drought and flood and their is your 9.6.
    Steal last years before you have to pay through the nose for 2009 crop. Also the crop wasn't as large as everyone said so carry out will be lower also.

its wierd alright. Dollar down canola down. Dollar up canola down. Its a commodity.

Dollar down gas/diesel up. Dollar up gas/diesel up. Oil down gas up.They are commodities.

Natgas down to where fertilizer should be 350/ tonne and it can't get get there.

The bins should be locked and the key thrown away until the buyers wake up.

Had a text yesterday from pioneer -

NEED PEAS PREMIUM PAID - CALL.

So I called - they were offering 6 bucks if deliver by friday pm. A 20 cent premium. I thought maybe they would go to 7 bucks a bushel. I told them they can pay the demurrage on the boat if they don't want to get serious about a premium.

Its the middle of June and the peas are barely three inches high and there is a bumper crop coming - retarded.

You can't feed a dwarf steroids and make him 6 feet tall.

Comment

yellows are 6.50 delivered in SK

Comment

has anyone seen peas come back from conditions like this , thick as can be but seeded may 5th and only 2 inches high. pretty clean. some wild oat areas , i was thinking about spraying select only. but its so dry and the w/o are frost damaged. probably wouldn't kill them.
        very close to not wanting rain, put us out of our misery

Comment

Our dollar is locked to the price of oil right now. So anytime oil and therefore most other comodities run so does the dollar. A guy might have to get fancy on some currency hedging or hope for an actual drop in the $U.S.

Comment

sawfly, if you get lucky with a rain try dynagrow, your peas will react very quickly. Call Gary Betoria. Man I hear it is brutal dry out there, did you get some rain last time?

Comment

very spotty , i got a tenth, other areas, none 3/10 5/10 odd spot 9/10.
              i think most of the area got next to nothing
              a lot of canola reeseeding, to meet CI rules. the logic defys me.
              the feilds seeded before the 20 may are prettywell smoked.
              barley feilds look grey with hints of green

Comment

Sawfly, frost on peas.
                From my experience it depends upon the size/age of the pea at the time of the frost. The smaller it is the more likely they will grow back without a lot of yield loss. However the older the pea plant is the worse it seems to affect yield.

In talking this week to growers the concensus was varied. Some said they had frost and they noticed no yield loss. One farmer did note in his experience if the plant sent out a new branch ( a Y at the bottom) the yield was definately reduced. However most did agree the older the plant was at frost the more likely for yield to be impacted, and given that we have had frost multiple times, our peas look like Neopalitan ice cream with frosted sections followed by green sections.

I have seen years when frost in low lying areas of the field reduced those areas to almost nothing, and in that same year no yield loss reported on fields that froze as well.

For peas, I believe the yield differential is maturity at time of frost.

We noticed our CDC Meadow yellow peas were less damaged that our Striker green peas, not sure why?

Guess we will get a pretty good case study on frost damage this year!

Comment

All our peas were striker and they are damaged worse than most. I seen one of your cdc patric plots, no damage at all but strikers right beside show moderate damage at least - it was very interesting. I think those patrics will be my next green pea from the yeild data and obvious frost tolerance.

Comment

Canola down! ... any one look at the drought maps, its dry all across Northern Alberta, all the way into the middle of Saskatchewan. With the late crops, the frost damage, the decreasing hydration of the soil, no rain in the near forecast we can speculate that we a bumper crop may not be in the works this year (of course we will continue to hope for a few weeks that it may change).

This market is used to a farmer selling plus 40 Canola yields, as we have for the most part had 4 years of great yields on average.

A farmer sells a below average crop much more defensively, and with the costs today they have too.

With more crushers coming on line that need to buy product every day, good luck buying cheap canola with below average yields.

Comment

Good to note, we have CDC Patricks too, I will check the plot and report back ..

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                      • Return to Topic List
                      Working...