• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canola update

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree it is to early to write off this crop but for most people (Davidson Area ) canola at 50 or 60 is a one in ten year thing. We have been growing **** and canola since early 70s it is to early to call it a wreck but with the weather pattern we have at the present and cool nights and windy days three more weeks will tell the tale.

Comment

Those maps check with mine too. The 30 is probably the most important as snowfall April 1st doesn't exactly help a crop.

Comment

I will not write off canola at all and neither should anyone, but reality is that each freeze in June knocks off at leats 5 bus later regardless of 1 or -4. Phone them again on Sat morning friday a.m. don't look good. 70% of the farmers in this area at least had no idea it froze yesterday until today. My thermometer showed only -1 but damage like -5 or 6. It all has to do with conditions. If their canola was seeded on smf or somewhat blackened soil they may see 10-20% damage at best. There will be no 50 bus country left, I'm sorry _ it is too late for a miracle two years in a row. reality bites!

Comment

Sadly even the irrigated stuff isn't great as the repeated frosts have been holding it back beating on it as well, our early canola came up ok but is just sitting there after the frost worked it over , the humidity in Lethbridge tonight was 13 percent. and the temp was falling like a stone as I came across a field from setting a pivot just at dark. My most recent recollection of a year like this netted about a 25-30 bushel crop and that was even after rains came. Our canola was bolting last year 20 days from now. Not this year. Even the cereals are having a tough time of it, now it just came to me as I was typing what we are seeing here are desert like conditions with low low humidity, high daytime temps and nightime temps near or below freezing all in early June. Not many plants thrive in those conditions. True all is not lost but things don't swing around quick June goes by fast and with it the potential . Hope we get this rain this weekend. As I was sprayig tonight our cattle were coming across a field in the distance and I could see the dusk plume from where they were walking from a mile or so away, scary. My father always said crops just wither and fail and then it's next year, but cattle get hungry and its still this year..

Comment

Is there any decent canola in Western Canada? Seems like we are behind everywhere and the weather is not cooperating.

Thanks,

Moe

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...