• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Farmers - Our own worst enemy

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Farmers - Our own worst enemy

In the last 7 years we have been flooded out three years, had frost two years, one avg year and one exceptional year when all the stars aligned. So with one good year under our belts why do guys start bidding $60 for rent and $1000/acre to buy. C’mon guys we were hardly making a decent living before how are we going to make it if we increase the one expense that is directly in the farmers hands. If every year is like the last I can justify paying that kind of money, but even in an avg year that is out of the question.

I have several questions for those selling, buying and renting the land.
    First for those who are selling. Why do you not offer the land to local farmers who may have bought some of the land at the price you sold it for. These are the same farmers who lent you equipment when you broke down, offered a pull when you got stuck, lent you chemical when the dealership was out, etc... . In our area there are lots of young farmers who could take over a large volume of land, why not at least offer it up too them.

To those who are buying the land. Why not rent it to local farmers, who know the land, and know how too farm it productively instead of bringing in a past young farmer of the year who should be ashamed of the crops he has grown in the past. Surely your risk of default on payment would be less renting to five farmers would be less than one.

To those renting the land, are you going to support the community, by sending your kids to the local school, buying your inputs from the local supplier, and supporting the local community. Or are you going to be coming in from miles away giving back nothing too the local community .

I know I may be coming off as what Jonhn Gormley calls a sask-a -whiner but this pisses me off because it is entirely unnecessary in our area. Sorry for the rant but i can see nothing good coming out of this latest transaction, not for the community, not for the local business’s and not for the local farmers. I know its contradictory to complain about the price of land, but how do they know that the price wouldn't have been bid higher if it wasn't offered for sale.

Interesting, which young farmer of the year are you talking about?

Comment

I have to agree on some of it. I am always amazed when a guy uses a realestate agent to sell property instead of asking neighbors

Comment

I agree with you Wheatking 100%

Comment

Same things around here. Ticks me off as well that land is so overpriced that the landlord gets more money than I do, more times than not. Also the neighbors keep giving their land to someone 10-20 miles away! I just don't get it!

Comment

absolutely we are our own worst enemy. I wouldn't worry though because in 2-3 years if you want you'll be farming that 60 acre land for 15 to 25 bucks, and they'll be phoning you. The trouble is usually one of two things 1. there are too many ignorant smartasses who have outside money to play with and actually can't farm any better than anyone else but because of outside money play the "big wheel" until a few years later you see the auction flyers out with there name in it.
            2. Some think they are smarter than the rest of us because they have had 4 or 5 good crops in a row, when simply it's because they have had a good run of weather, and nothing more. Usually those guys only takes a year or 2 of loss and they can't handle it when the crap hits the fan. Even on this forum there some idiots stating how upset they are at other farmers who don't "lock in their profits". Taking an option out on a crop in february doesn't give you anything but a cost if you're wiped out by the things mentioned above. But some politicians city folk read that bullshit and they think boy why are some of those farmers so stupid all they have to do is lock in there profit over winter.

Comment

Older farmer we know with no kids (probably has his first dollar) Actually does. He use to be nice guy but last few years getting stranger every year. Phones and asks us to rent every year, to far away, we tell to rent to locals. Here is farms history last few years.
              1st rented land out kept machinery, took this away after one year because price of grain went up the neighbors just had a verbal.
              2nd got sick had another neighbor rent it for a few years then took it away one spring saying they were poor farmers. (yea thats a good one)
              3rd had his sale pst things didn't sell high bought lots back himself.
              4th wife got sick rented farm to two young neighbors.
              5 they thought they bought it a month ago got all the loans in place went to sign and he backs out. wanted money for tin on shed etc etc etc.
              THE GUY IT Loosing it and only sad thing the only winner will be REV CANADA. No family either.

Comment

At that kind of price maybe people should sell and retire.

Comment

Reminds me of earth one. They could at least try in on one indian reserve first.
                  But they want to go full bore and take over all land on every indian reserve. But of course there is a farmer of the year telling them they can do it.

Comment

Local first nations that we rent from say they will sit back for now to see how this one earth deal works out. They are not prepared to give good tenants the boot only to see this thing fail in two years and see the land sit idle after that. Good move on their part IMO.

Comment

After a week too think about all that is going on with some sober second thought, I realize that this isn't as bad as I had thought. I will still be farming the same amount of land as I always have. I have to realize that I can only control what I own and farm myself, not what other people farm and do. I will keep plugging away doing the best job on my 3000 acres and not worry what the neighbours are up too.

Comment

Excellent sober second thought, wheatking. I'm proud of you for stating it like it should be. I do not covet anyone's possessions, intended possessions, or accomplishments, or how they wish to future sell those possessions, how they are able to purchase their tools, or toys, or the legacy they leave behind.

Comment

I don't think farmers realize what incredibly good people they are, what unique values they sustain and pass on, and how valuable they are to our society.

Pars

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                          • Return to Topic List
                          Working...