• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Frost and wheat

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frost and wheat

Has anyone heard anything on the cold temperatures over the last few night as far down as Texas. Heard from some custom guys from Texas that it was 27 to 28 degrees there 2 nights ago. Checked at Wichita, Kansas and it was down to 20 degrees last night. Coldest ever for the date I think if I read the graph right. Is it too early for Kansas to have frost to make an impact? Not sure if 28 degrees is cold enough but wheat is heading down in Texas.

I've been wondering the same, been looking on US ag web sites but haven't seen much, Sunday isn't an easy day to get fresh ag news, (Sunday night you hear more). 12" - 17" of snow in a large area of Kansas, maybe it'll insulate the crop, but I've seen here years when you get a heavy late snow, or snow with wind, where you end up with drifts, that it will kill the crop if it's out of dormancy. 28 F is pretty cold for crop that is in shot blade, "there will be damage" if it was that cold for 2 or 3 hours. With the forecasts and such for the winter wheat area, I thought prices would continue their upward move after last Monday, but it went the opposite way the rest of the week and took a real pounding!

Comment

if they've had a cold winter there is probably a larger than normal part of the crop that hasn't broken dormancy. may be one reason for not much news out of this.

Comment

Here's what it looks like.

[URL="http://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=92876&mid=660024#M660024"][/URL]

Comment

Here's more info

[URL="http://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=92806&mid=659555#M659555"][/URL]

Comment

relative just back from Texas. Wheat is heading in Texas and Oklahoma could have done some damage. We need one on Easter to get this market on fire. That's when Kansas is ripe for frost.

Comment

Thanks Wedino, good sites! do you still have snow over there?

Comment

More snow than I can ever remember for Mar. 30. A nightmare trying to get ready for an early Apr. auction.

Comment

your sale?

Comment

Yep, my sale.

Comment

Best of Luck! at least guys won't be in the field yet!

Comment

Thanks boarderbloke, We are very satisfied with results, Ritchie Bros. do an terrific job. Their auction catalog is distributed world wide, our sale is proof as one of our tractors is going to Columbia.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                        • Return to Topic List
                        Working...