• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Husky Tour - Llodminster

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Husky Tour - Llodminster

Just a note to everyone that Lee and I did go on the tour yesterday. I will express my appreciation to Husky for their time and openess. It is always good to be in a customers business and finding out about their needs.

Some things I found out - Lee will fill in as well.

1) SWP/Agricore United will continue to be their sourcing agent.

2) They are using corn but as a blend with CWRS wheat. Issues are getting consistent supplies during the summer and the lower ethanol yield from CWRS wheat. The issue is not protein as such but rather lower starch content in CWRS wheat (high protein equals less starch) and use of more enzymes (which are expensive) in the ethanol from wheat. If I remember right, the corn/wheat blend is about 50/50.

Very interesting tour of the plant. Amazing how some of my chemistry comes back from school days. Would recommend for farmers.

Charlie and I and the rest of our group had a good tour. It certainly is a worthwhile place for producers to tour. Staff indicated that some tours are available for groups that book well ahead of time.

Interesting thing about corn. The plant admitted that, so far, they have brought in one unit train of U.S. corn. Corn landed at Lloyd is a cheaper source of ethanol than is CPS wheat especially given that 1 tonne of corn produces much more ethanol than one tonne of wheat.

Corn landed at Lloyd is needed for two reasons. It is blended with HRS wheat so the plant can operate and, in their words, there is no more CPS wheat out there (maybe at their price).

HRS is a pain to make ethanol from. As Charlie said, it requires more expensive enzymes but it also gums up machinery terribly and it produces a by-product called distillers soluables for which there is currently no use. The plant just gives it away, if they can. Distillers soluables is a thick liquid - 70% moisture - about the viscosity of 50 gear oil and just as sticky. They can blend some of it back into the dried distiller grains but too much blending takes away too much heat to dry down the mix. Corn doesn't produce distiller soluables so plant operators would consider 100% corn through-put as heaven.

Incidently the very large payloader that loads out the dried distiller grains uses 100% vegetable oil - crankcase and hydraulics - to avoid contamination from leaks. It would be interesting to know how the oil handles the engine temperatures.

Note that people on tours are not allowed to sample the pure product. At the end, it is denatured with gasoline before being shipped out.

Comment

Both good posts...very informative.

Perhaps, it is time to grow more corn here in Alberta. It can be successfully grown, and not just in southern Alberta either.

With some of the new varieties, even some of our sandy soils could be productive. I have seen corn produced in this area grow six feet tall.

Comment

As usual this plant, uses nothing but the best CPS grain to produce their product? Nothing but the best will be purchased to produce their quality ethanol. I suspect that is total bull! They can use just about anything to make that stuff. But lets face it, this conspiracy is all about AB cows isn't it? Just like the malteys nothing but the best quality barley will do, to produce their quality canadian yellow colored water in a bottle, so refreshing when cold!!!

Comment

Burbert

I encourage you to visit the plant and talk to Husky about their needs. They are also in a situation where they are going to have to meet you and your neighbors needs as well - otherwise they won't get consistent supplies of the grain they need.

Comment

I know the ethanol plant in Lanigan Sask. was paying plus 30 cents per bushel over hard spring wheat for the soft wheat Andrew. Not sure if that applied to the CPS wheats or not. Poundmaker has all the supplies of Andrew that they need.

Comment

Charliep, I saw their quality standards for CPS wheat, posted at the local AU elevator. Only the best will do. Another private entity rides to the rescue of farmers, yeah right, can't live without local farmers. Oops I forgot, they can import corn from the US, to make ethanol, so farmers better be prepared to sell cheap!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I never seen that quality standard post.
                Then again I have never been in an AU ellevator for a while.
                Isn't the standard normally 58 lbs wheat for ethanol? That is what Belleplain wanted to contract. I believe soft wheats are normally a little lower in bushel weight than hard wheat. hmmmm, cannot believe they would not bend a little on the bushel weight espectially if in short supply, say mixing, taking in one farmers heavy at the same time another lighter, or in AU's case blending heavy bin with lighter bin.

Comment

Actually Burbert tell us what these quality standards are?

Comment

Any news from Belle Plain lately. Like is construction on time? Site preparation is one thing. Actually spending big money is another.

Comment

kamichel

Can't comment/didn't get into the specifics on wheat types or what Husky is doing relative to competitors (contracts/buying programs tied in with AU). What the Husky tour guides did highlight was the fact they needed starch to produce ethanol. They pointed out that corn yields 50 more litres of ethanol from a tonne of corn that CWRS wheat. They can afford to pay a premium for corn based on ethanol yield.

What they use a input grain for ethanol production also impacts the feed value of their dried distillers grains. This is one area of the plant where they admited to having some problems. Talked to a distiller grain user on Friday night and they indicated they had been happy with the product to date.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                      • Return to Topic List
                      Working...